Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

Saturday 24 September 2016

My father in law (my wife Aura's father - Aurel Ungur, now 96 years old) is writing another book, this time on the part he played in the concept and construction of the Tranfagarasan (the twisty winding road that the "Top Gear" team enjoyed when they came here 10 years or so ago).

When he was the Minister for Forestry and Agriculture in the late 50's, he came up with the idea to build a tourist road over the Carpathian mountains near the town of Fagaras. He put the idea to the boss at the time - Nicolae Ceausescu and he agreed, putting Aurel in charge of the Project.

The route chosen generally followed an existing mule track over the mountain, although for that to be widened to a made asphalt road, it was necessary to drive a tunnel through the mountain at the upper part.

The road celebrated its 40th birthday last year and it's been some years since Aurel (we call him Relu because my daughter couldn't say Aurel when she was small:)) has visited it.

Also, I've been offering a Brit expat friend of mine (Geof) living in Bucharest a trip there for ages, so today became the day for another visit to the Transfagarasan. It's a bit of a treck, even from here, with a round-trip of some 400 odd km, on not so quick roads.

The photos I took are aimed at being a selection for use as illustrations in his book. It was a bright but cloudy day which meant there was quite a lot of mist up at the top (which is close to 2,100m), not the best thing for photos.

They are in the process of uploading into the "media" section, so if anyone is interested, have some patience for them to finish uploading.

There's some winch-bar videos too, (but they don't get at all interesting until Video #4) and they will be edited in here as they upload to Youtube. I kept leaving the camera running when we stopped, I need to get some software to crop the vids. I used to use Movie Maker but since having the new Windows 10 platform, I've lost the software. Any recommendations?

My videos #1 to #10 below leave a lot to be desired, but a friend of mine took this fast-forward video of the whole run in 2015 on a sunny day.....

The way we went was via Fagaras then the Transfagarasan North to South, then down to the hydro reservoir "Vidrarul" its impressive Dam at the South end of the lake (where, at the foot of it, the Top Geasr team pretended to wake up), then on to Cumpalung, Bran, Raznov and Predeal, then the DN1 national road back to Comarnic.

A good day out.

Editing finished...
Video #1
Video #2
Video #3
Video #4
Video #5
Video #6
Video #7
Video #8
Video #9
Video #10

Last edited:
Just a bump to say the YouTube links are edited now...

Reactions: Sag
A valiant effort Clive but i'm afraid the magic of the Tranfagarasan didn't translate through video for me .

Your fault of course if you hadn't took me there to see it first hand in all its splendor then maybe the vid would make me want more .

A valiant effort Clive but i'm afraid the magic of the Tranfagarasan didn't translate through video for me .

Your fault of course if you hadn't took me there to see it first hand in all its splendor then maybe the vid would make me want more .

True enough mate, I think Top Gear had the right idea, filming it from a helicopter!

Helicopter - now there's an idea you could pick me up each Friday and drop me home Monday :text-thankyoublue:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Saturday 8 October 2016

No excursion today, except a trip to Dedeman, the builders merchants.

image.jpeg

Looking a bit low on its haunches... ?

Maybe the 851 kg of ceramic tiles has something to do with it. The guy in the shop said 15 kg per pack, which would have been 555 kg for the 37 packs we bought.

Got home and it has 23 kg stamped on each pack :icon-rolleyes:

image.jpeg

They'll look something like this when laid on the rear balcony, I hope...

IMG_8577.JPG

Our neighbor, Nicu, doing all the finer points on the extension, has been busy laying waterproofing, sound insulation, fabric reinforcement and a sand/cement mortar to the balcony for the bedrooms at the rear of the house.

This photo will make more sense to those who have visited, but here's the work Nico's done on it to date...

IMG_8545.JPG

The waterproofing, sound insulation and fabric reinforcement;

followed by 60mm of mortar...

IMG_8580.JPG

Laid in 4 triangular bays, with slopes to a single drain outlet.

Hopefully by next weekend, the tiles will be laid...

A bit large for a shower room Clive?

It's a bit like that Chas, I'm not sure it was a good plan, but you know how these things are, I've started, so I have to finish!

The whole area has a high roof over it, but from where the photo is taken, it's open to the elements, so the tiles have to be laid to a fall on the rare occasion that the wind is blowing from the back when it rains.

The open edge will have a balustrade with a gate in it, which will take you over a wooden bridge down to the garden level.

It's a bit like that Chas, I'm not sure it was a good plan, but you know how these things are, I've started, so I have to finish!

The whole area has a high roof over it, but from where the photo is taken, it's open to the elements, so the tiles have to be laid to a fall on the rare occasion that the wind is blowing from the back when it rains.

The open edge will have a balustrade with a gate in it, which will take you over a wooden bridge down to the garden level.
Sounds great Clive, looking forward to seeing the finished job next year.

Sounds great Clive, looking forward to seeing the finished job next year.

That sounds positive Chas! I really hope you do come again!

BTW, any news on the Phoenix yet?

Those tiles are gonna look great Clive i find it easy to imagine the dining table in the house being made redundant in favour of alfresco dining in that cozy little nook .

Those tiles are gonna look great Clive i find it easy to imagine the dining table in the house being made redundant in favour of alfresco dining in that cozy little nook .

In high summer, yes Shayne. It's a good bit cooler at the back of the house.:thumbup:

That sounds positive Chas! I really hope you do come again!

BTW, any news on the Phoenix yet?
No news yet, Julian said the gearbox won't be seen to until second week in November, I'm anticipating the bill to be around £5000.

No news yet, Julian said the gearbox won't be seen to until second week in November, I'm anticipating the bill to be around £5000.

Oh mama, that's not good.

Is that a quote for a replacement or repair Chas? It sounds like a lot of money...:cry:

I paid £5,000 for my truck 10 years ago, when it was 11 years old.

Oh mama, that's not good.

Is that a quote for a replacement or repair Chas? It sounds like a lot of money...:cry:

I paid £5,000 for my truck 10 years ago, when it was 11 years old.
It will be a gearbox rebuild, replacement front diff, repair rear diff both of which had water in them, the transfer box also has to be inspected there's an oil leak from the front of the engine which Julian said may be a legacy of that Toyota dealers wall, the front offside shocker has failed so that means a new pair is needed.
I paid £7500 for mine 12 years ago when it was 10 years old, I've probably spent triple that on it since then but nothings too good for my baby.
I've been thinking of a colour change, a sort of olive green, leave the dents just paint.
hopefully it will look something like this.

Dark Olive Green Land Cruiser.jpg

It will be a gearbox rebuild, replacement front diff, repair rear diff both of which had water in them, the transfer box also has to be inspected there's an oil leak from the front of the engine which Julian said may be a legacy of that Toyota dealers wall, the front offside shocker has failed so that means a new pair is needed.
I paid £7500 for mine 12 years ago when it was 10 years old, I've probably spent triple that on it since then but nothings too good for my baby.
I've been thinking of a colour change, a sort of olive green, leave the dents just paint.
hopefully it will look something like this.

View attachment 107819

That's a different story, it's easier to see £5,000 in that shopping list!

Cool, the Phoenix rises again it seems :thumbup:

Back