Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania police dirty tricks

ratrace

Country Flag
uk
Got this from facebook unknown if this is true

Serbianoutdoor 4x4

Although we've been planning to reinstate our (once very popular) Romanian tours in 2020, we've ditched the idea. The Romanian authorities are sending a clear message to overlanders that they're unwelcome in Romania, so we'll grant them their wishes. Just today an elderly couple that I know have fallen into the trap of the notorious Romanian "mountain jendarmerie", practically without knowingly doing anything wrong, and they've told them that they owe the Romanian state 4000 RON (about 800 Euros) for the fine. What did they do? They were, as tourists, driving around roads west of Uricani, and they've turned on a sideroad, with a barrier that was open. Driven as far as it was possible to drive, hiked a little bit afterwards, went back to the car, drove the same way back, but now the barrier was locked, and two of these policemen in a Duster were waiting at the barrier to "catch" them. Obviously a dirty trap! They did nothing really wrong, and they're, as I said, an elderly couple of tourists, not some offroader adrenaline junkies. But someone in Romania has obviously come to the idea to set up these traps as an easy way to provide income for the government. Well, we just don't seem willing to become their victims in the future. And you, dear readers, probably don't want to be their victims either.

So long Romania - there are so many other places in the Balkans where people can roam and enjoy their time freely, with no dirty traps of this kind!

72270200_2379143638869696_291961049169526784_o.jpg

And the dodgy cops kindly posed for photo's so every newspaper and politician in the country could .......... what?

If there is any truth at all in the story i'm inclined to think its the drivers petty revenge for being too stupid to realize the barrier shown is by Romanian standards an absolute and official "DO NOT ENTER"

Ok I’ve just posted in the travel section about our plannings to Romania in April. I hope this is not true and would like some further comments about this. Thanks

I was overlanding with mostly wildcamping for two months in 2019 - around 3 weeks in romania.

Trip lead me from Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Slownenia, Kroatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Bulgaria to Romania and Ungary, Austria back home.

No hassle, no stress in Romania or one of the other countries, also when wildcamping is more or less a grey zone.

No idea if the story is real - I did too cross some barriers there - and did guess that this is maybe not legal... Because you dont see the barriers often, it is maybe a sign of a private property.

land-cruiser-200-v8.jpe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@ fbnss

You must have a pic of that seriously official (by Romanian standards) Road closed around the lake when we were leaving Radu and heading for Clive's ?

When i asked the locals to translate they said "road closed ................ but not for you" ............ "not in this" :lol:

Of course we'd probably have saved ourselves a couple of hours if we'd turned around.

Nice views though and a good example of Romania's sort of laid back and flexible attitude towards traffic management .

Well I can’t comment on the story, and I only know my area, but you can on occasions become unstuck. The Bucegi range (the mountains we look at across the valley when we’re on the ridge-run) were designated “National Park” a few years ago, which broke my heart because I used to take the truck all the way along the top there, the tracks, rock crawling, the whole nine yards.

In the summer of 2018 my cousin came to visit and we took him up the track which is now asphalt, an extension of the Dichiu asphalt road I’ve taken members up when we turn off down the valley past the gorge to the church in the cave at Pestera.

We drove up to the end where the sign says €2000 fine if you pass this point in or on a motor vehicle, turned around and came back down. On the way, I saw a 4x4 up a track on the right, and I know the view from up there is very nice. So I took a chance and went up there only to find that the 4x4 belonged to the jandarmieria.

They were shaking their heads and muttering about trespass and I don’t know what, they took my Licence, residency permit and passport and started filling out forms. Aura kept calm and waited till they finished, and asked them how much we had to pay. 1,400 lei (about £260) so Aura’s next question was “...and how do we pay it because we’re not going to give money to you guys”.

I struggled not to laugh, the usual official way (same with most traffic fines) is they give you a ticket in triplicate, you then go to the nearest CEC bank, and pay the fine there. They stamp them all paid, keep one copy and give the other 2 back to you. You keep one for your records, and post the other to the police, so that they know you’ve paid, simple.

So we expected this process, but Aura was one step ahead because they only gave us a single sheet ticket. He protested and said if we didn’t pay him he’d keep my documents, so she took out her phone and got as far as dialling the 11 of the 112 emergency police number.:lol:

Needless to say, he capitulated, tore up the ticket and returned my documents, saying not to leave the asphalt road again.

If you guys who’ve visited recall, I did have quite a bizarre conversation with the police guy on the Dichiu the year before, when he said the road was closed, but that we could go along it if we wanted to. He wouldn’t commit himself to say we would be legal or illegal, just that the road was closed, but we could drive it :lol:.

Usually, the types of barrier in the story above, shut off the smaller forestry roads which for regular cars would be dangerously steep and muddy. It is an offence to pass through them irrespective of open or closed.

The cops here are usually ok, if they speak English, but the jandarmieria can be a bit strange. I wouldn’t let it deter anyone from visiting, just use common sense and don’t take any risks, it’s not worth it, unless you don’t mind parting with a few bob. They’re certainly not going to lock you up, it’s just some pocket money to them at worst.

Come and visit us, there’s no charge for club members and their guests, we’ve got spare rooms and all are welcome. I’ll be posting a date soon for an August 2020 visit if anyone’s interested this year.

If you guys who’ve visited recall, I did have quite a bizarre conversation with the police guy on the Dichiu the year before, when he said the road was closed, but that we could go along it if we wanted to. He wouldn’t commit himself to say we would be legal or illegal, just that the road was closed, but we could drive it :lol:.

Come and visit us, there’s no charge for club members and their guests, we’ve got spare rooms and all are welcome. I’ll be posting a date soon for an August 2020 visit if anyone’s interested this year.
Yes Clive I remember that day well and I do believe he wished us 'Have a nice day' and said we wouldn't be arrested.
I would so love to come and visit again if it wasn't for my bloody health restrictions.

Yes Clive I remember that day well and I do believe he wished us 'Have a nice day' and said we wouldn't be arrested.
I would so love to come and visit again if it wasn't for my bloody health restrictions.

I know that Chas, but for us you’re never far away.

The green paint has weathered off that tree stump in the ditch, by the way :laughing-rolling:

Stay safe matey... take care.

Back