Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof tent for 1 ?

Their hardtops look amazing, especially the Stealth, but 4K+ is a lot of cash for a roof tent.

OK mate I'll ring her back.

On a more serious note (really?) the hardshell type tents in my view are better suited to what I call 'stop and pop' travelling where you aren't actually camping, you're driving and needing somewhere to sleep one night at a time. They take minimal setting up and taking down and are more aerodynamic in general. They are better suited to one person because of their more common side access meaning that you've got to climb over your lass at 03.00 in the morning to get out for a Jimmy after 14 pints of cheap lager. You can camp in them when the weather is decent but when it's poor you can't really sit up there in comfort.

Now one thing to consider (not with a lift up back door though) is the clamshell type. You get more headroom at one end and being rear entry you can get in without waking the missus (no, leave it!) They aren't very high inside and you'll need the width to swing your legs about to get your sock and trousers on. If it's too narrow you won't be able to get the ladder up to it because of the roof line.

As for going really narrow, you may as well get a Thule roof box and put a duvet in it.

What duvet would be suitable for a blue Thule roof box then?

They are all a lot of cash for what is , for most of us a very occasional convenience , same as a winch and many other things i suppose but or me though the consequence of an absolute and catastrophic failure of a roof tent are so insignificant that quality is not a worthy consideration .

If you can't sleep you ain't drank enough ;)

All of this! We had a roof tent originally, then went clam shell JB, now back to a roof tent. The JB clam was almost perfect for one but too compromised for two (and impossible with three!). If I was travelling on my own, it’s what I’d get and I wouldn’t be overly bothered about sourcing a slim Mag if a standard one or JB was an option. With the internal struts the useable space inside is around the 120cm mark and is just enough for storing clothes etc whilst still being comfortable.
what about a dog mate?

I'll hopefully be in England for the 1st week August and the 1st week September.
Would be nice to go to a Dealer and have a look/try,walk away or buy.
We'll see.
Cheers

Don't know what the 120 is like, but if it was just me and the 80 I'd be taking the 2nd row seats out and turning the back into a little Palace..

Like your thinking mate.

Lived in many cars in my time but never in the back of a 4x4?
The 120's done everything else from shopping to winning hill climbs, so now he's retired
he might welcome an old man and his dog in the back sleeping.

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I spent a while looking for something narrower and 124cm wide was i think the smallest i found , more choice at 125cm .

I'd have bought this one by now but they wouldn't accept paypal https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.details.maylikehoz.7.735265b9867JWZ

Like as not i will buy it anyway due to lack of alternatives .

And having decided theres nothing better for me available and a couple of weeks of messages going back and forth they finally quoted $650 shipping charge .

2 days later they ask me if i have an import export permit or whatever because they can't ship to personal addresses :icon-rolleyes:

They are all a lot of cash for what is , for most of us a very occasional convenience , same as a winch and many other things i suppose but or me though the consequence of an absolute and catastrophic failure of a roof tent are so insignificant that quality is not a worthy consideration .

If you can't sleep you ain't drank enough ;)

sent you 2 PM's mate
let me know if you get them
cheers

And having decided theres nothing better for me available and a couple of weeks of messages going back and forth they finally quoted $650 shipping charge .

2 days later they ask me if i have an import export permit or whatever because they can't ship to personal addresses :icon-rolleyes:

What does the total cost work out to then?

Maybe you could club together and get 2 delivered at that price?

Be prepared for customs duty on top, 20% iirc - small items can be marked as samples so avoid it, but Im thinking these are a bit big.......

Ive thought about importing them to sell, got into some negotiations with an actual manufacturer, but lack of person on ground in China put me off. Company called Tent-Box went with the plan instead I believe. Problem is the Chinese will deal with warranty but you pay for return both ways.....so I would have had to suffer the warranty issues.

1750 Dollars with the awning and shipping , i could probaby get myself registered as an importer but for one purchase why bother .

I looked into it once to buy whelk pots , several shipping containers worth , and it seemed straight forward enough until it was suggested i might wait 6 months for customs clearance !

Where we camp we have to have RTT because of the snakes and wild animals
I had an EazyAwn for many years, but as I got older the packing away became a real chore (if it takes more than 10 minutes its a chore.

Three years ago I changed to the AluCab Expedition 3 hard shell pop up (gas struts)
It literally takes 2 minutes to set up and 3 minutes to pack away.
If its possible, it is also more aerodynamic than the EazyAwn and is slimmer in the front that at the rear

Both these tents are made in South Africa
But Im certain there will be an AluCab distributor somewhere in the UK

The EazyAwn
uqFrxZNQ7ICTPrPjzHw7i3jgUW0d-dVug3cw3Soio3TeVo5Xj5fYY4Ve1lDPgtzQHUAdkpwFgM0aRAQwg=w1892-h1418-no.jpg

The AluCab pop-up
zgHo7xLZKXEC5C_f2cdKY_GUcjnhsdW47mvIfzassaE7B0UimTr2yYFSY7pbFjvasQxiq-fFbmKds9tVfTM=w640-h360-no.jpg

Last edited:
Back