Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roughtrax starter any good?

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
As the title says really, I'm fairly confident my 21 year old starter is on it's way out as the years go by. Once temps dip, it winds over slower and behaves as though the batteries are dead when they're not. I've also read a bad starter can kill batteries over time which I think occurred few months back.

Roughtrax sell an aftermarket starter for under 200, is it any good? Or is it worth buying the brush set and replacing? I took my brushes out 6 months ago and they were all good still. http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/uc-premium-starter-motor-12v-2-7-kw.html

Or does anyone have a 1kzt starter lying around in good condition. 2.7kw one. Same starters used from early 1kzt engines all the way up to the 150 series D4D.

Thanks in advance.

Had one on mine for a couple of years and everything's good

Switched out my internals the other week, turning over reliably as ever now. Just get the kit, the rest of it will be fine.

Owen

As likely as that is PM, it's worth checking resistance of adjacent bars on the commutator and generally checking it for burning or bad wear. A quick gentle swim on a lathe is good if needed but it probably absolutely fine as you say. A good clean and replace the brushes (if needed) and the contacts and plunger in the solenoid as here will be the most wear. I have a source in the UK for spares if useful to you. No doubt he could post out bits at less cost that the carriage on a new SM.

I didn't check resistance when I had it out. Didn't visibly see any burning or unusual wear on it either so had just given it a clean really and stuck it back but didn't make a difference. I've had the plunger and contacts changed out a few years ago with bigger ones and they still look great.

What is the source you use for starter pieces? Roughtrax sell the brush kit for around 75, though I'm not that inclined to purchase it knowing visually my brushes still have good tension and life left in them.

I had the starter reconditioned by an auto electricians workshop a couple of weeks back. Did everything, clutch, solenoid, brushes, bendix gear and even gave it a coat of paint. €125 well spent. Lovely and smooth now. Worth considering?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Worth considering if I can find someone local who knows what they're doing... Being that these engines were never sold in the US, parts for them like starters aren't exactly a on the shelve item like back home.

I got one from r/t that had a bigger output than the original must be 3 years ago now i guess ?

Back