Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rust Advice Please?

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Hi All,

I am after some advice please..... I have a 2001Prado/Colarado '95 which is mostly rust free.

However, I do have one bit that I am concerned about. It is in the windscreen pillar and I assume it is structural????? The local body shop guy says it is nothing, rub it down fill the hole with mastic and paint!!!!

I am not happy with that idea but if the answer is to cut the area out and weld a new piece in - how will we do it being so close to the windscreen?

Rust_1.jpg

Rust_2.jpg

Rust_3.jpg

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

BTW, if this is not the best section of the forum, would a mod kindly move it please.

It can be done.. if you plan on keeping the truck id weld it, It could be sorted with filler but I wouldn't. Its very structural there. best thing is to remove screen and rubber seals... but if your careful it can be done without removing them. clean it up with a flap disc not grinding disc. cover every thing in a fire blanket, glass etc and just go at it steady, when welding ( like spot welding).. If you lived in Kent, or the UK even. Id have a crack at it. Good luck anyways. PS remember once you clean it up and found some good steel to weld to it will be 5 times the size it is now :lol:

Thanks Higgy! I also wonder why it chose that spot to rust?? Cannot see an obvious reason for water gathering there???

Thanks Higgy! I also wonder why it chose that spot to rust?? Cannot see an obvious reason for water gathering there???
Yeh its strange, I didn't think it rained in Cyprus.. Ever! ( its probably rusted from the inside/out.)

I can't advise it but i think if faced with that i'd be tempted to cut it back to clean metal and fill it up with an epoxy liquid steel of some kind (JB Weld ?) , its not ideal but it would leave you with something stronger than it was new and the idea of welder heat there makes me wonder if i might have a nightmare tonight .

Thanks Shayne, I was sort of thinking to do just that before I went to the local cowboy - err I mean pain t shop!
A. Something I can do myself. B. Cheaper. C. Safer/easier. D. Wont be quite as noticeable. Only downside may be strength but as you say, if I pack in enough JB it should be OK.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back