Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rust on the 100

frank rabbets

Guru
Any body got any horror pictures ? I must have been lucky when I bought mine as there is almost no rust. It surprises me that there is so much rust on these generally. I did look for 2 years for a good 100 but was not aware of the rust problems as I never got far enough to crawl underneath any of them.

Some I have seen have been shocking.

Same for the 90 series some are terrible.

The metal just seems to be thinner then on real landcruisers.

Looked at a 100 the other day and the rear crossmenber just crumbled in my hands when I touched it.

I've seem some pretty shocking rust on 'real' landcruisers as well

I must be fortunate as mine had hardly any rust, I did however have it Waxoyl treated soon after I purchased it....

IMG_0057.JPG

I'll take some of the underneath when I'm next there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I must be fortunate as mine had hardly any rust, I did however have it Waxoyl treated soon after I purchased it....
Its just rusting away nicely under the wax oil..:icon-eek:

The 5 ive viewed this year have all had their issues.

Mainly front wings on the bumper edge, sills, rear wheel arches or behind the rear bumper sides :(

Is there a landcruiser that does not suffer from rust ?!

virtually all "modern" cars in this country will suffer from rust. to me it is the degree of rust.

what struck me about the 100s we looked at was the state of the chassis, they were completely covered in a "set in" rust, not just surface rust. my 80 chassis has probable 97% of the original paint still on it. don't get me wrong, I have rust I need to address in the usual 80 problem areas, but I don't think its horrendous for the age of the vehicle. they are not rust buckets. the 120s and 100s seem to be getting a bit of a reputation...

It's really the country, the salt they lay on the roads during the winter that kills these things. Here in the US, once you're off the coast and in the south where you don't get below freezing, 99% of landcruisers look absolutely mint underneath. Factory coating with a bit of surface rust at most. Same goes for the majority of cars/trucks.

I think the thing that gets overlooked is that these are fairly old cars now - the first of the 100's will be 19 years old - not too far off being a classic.

I'm very pleased with the condition of my '95. The only part that's pitted rusty is the rear bumper beam. Overall, she's in great nick.

Bert, I doubt You have a LC100 or J10 from 1995.........
To my knowledge Toyota released them 98-99

Apologies for the thread resurrection but wanted a few pointers on the rust problem. My 100 does indeed has a rust on the chassis but it seems to be mostly surface rust (bright red/orange instead of the dull brown).

Where should I be looking for the serious rust spots on the chassis?

I have got myself a 5 litre jug of Dynax S50 underseal to see if it will hold it at bay (and hopefully neutralise the surface rust). I could make a new thread showing before and after photos and log the success of my treatment.

One lives in hope to get it through the MOT...

My 80 has spent all its 24 years of life here in Romania and we regularly have a salt & sand mixture on the roads generally from November through to March sometimes April every year.

It’s not rust free by a long way, but the only rot it’s suffered is the rear quarters.

The chassis is still original paint or surface rust, but no rot. The axles are rusty, but again there’s no rot especially on the mounting members and spring perches.

I’m convinced the quality (and maybe the thickness) of the steel on the 80 is better than later models, JMHO

My 80 has spent all its 24 years of life here in Romania and we regularly have a salt & sand mixture on the roads generally from November through to March sometimes April every year.

It’s not rust free by a long way, but the only rot it’s suffered is the rear quarters.

The chassis is still original paint or surface rust, but no rot. The axles are rusty, but again there’s no rot especially on the mounting members and spring perches.

I’m convinced the quality (and maybe the thickness) of the steel on the 80 is better than later models, JMHO

Nail on the head I think Clive ......wasn't there some scandal involving steel quality in Japan ?
I think the 80 was from a time when a lot of steel was of good quality and not made from recycled steel or old washing machines ....certainly I agree the 80 is less rust prone than the 100 , also 90's of the same time seem better than later ones .
I nearly bought a new 100 series and was appalled by the rusty marks in the engine bay of a brand new in the showroom 100 series......the salesman was a little surprised when I spent longer under the vehicle than sitting inside listening to him ..... was academic in the end as before the deal was done the Red head estate agent that was my partner decided that she wanted the house and most of my money ...... all things have a silver lining though .....I didn't get a rust prone 100 and got an upgrade on next wife to the tall slim brunette version fitted with a sense of humour and a love for old vehicles and aircraft ;-)

There is a big difference in steel thickness on the Chassis on my 80 compared to the 120... The steel all round seems thicker.. My 120 has treatable surface rust and is in good Nick underneath for a 15yr old Truck But the 'Shocker' on The 120 is the Rear Axle Jeez! That Likes to Rust...... Is there a set amount of paint Toyota put under their Vehicles And thats it, Not a Micron More... I guess its up to the Owner to keep Daubing it on every other Year...

Took this before doing my first application of Dynax S50, great stuff by the way but does drip. My experience with rust isn't extensive as none of my previous cars had it appear on the MOT history. I have bubbling around the windscreen and on the rear wheel arches which I'll get round to eventually. The axles and suspension mounts look crusty but stood up to the hammer test but will need to keep and eye on them.

Back