Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rustproofing, updating methods and products.

Wow that 4runner is shot to bits , yet on top looks really good , I feel so sorry for any members of this forum if they have a rust problem underneath their LC like that 4runner , it also looks like it has never been serviced underneath like axles and Transfer box and prop shaft , just look at the front and rear diff filler and drain plugs . I would run a mile if I was looking to buy and saw that truck .

I couldn't believe it either, looks like its been sat in the sea for months.

I just don't get people who buy 4x4's without poking their head under first, its not as if you'd need to get more than your bonce under the sidestep to see the disaster there, modern cars yes an issue to see under but you'd take a lit telescopic mirror for the job.
Even undoing the diff plugs is likely to crack the rear axle, which looks no stronger than the exhaust pipe on our Yotas.

Tony Rodaway, never heard of using Vinegar.
Glad i started this thread, learned a hell of a lot more about this rustproofing lark already.

I have a tub of vinegar in my workshop that I put in any rusty nuts/bolts or any rusty bits in over night then rinse off and wipe clean then spay with oil or antirust spay that I get from Lidl in a aerosol can when they sell them , I multi buy them 1.59 euro a can I always have a stock of them .

Tony was the vinegar to go with all the salt on yer fish and chips ?
I like the sound of that tip using the white vinegar instead of the soapy cleaner in the power wash.to clean off I used, cheap too !!

Cheap and effective way to attack rust and also kills weeds but stinks tho. There is always a Downside. :flags-wavegreatbri::text-bravo:
The pressure bottle with gun keeps squirting for ever.
Very handy to have if u have a huge garden with weeds.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I booked an appointment with before n after rustproofing for full underbody clean and rustproofing coating. He claims to be the best in the country as he only does rust proofing and nothing else. I got appointment on 26Jun. They are giving 10 year guarantee. Will update pics after its done.

its 780+VAT. His prices are standard all clearly stated on his site for different cars

Cool - thanks for that - be really interested to see the before and after. Cheers.

My car looks very good n clean but when toyota did health check they noted that the car has lot of dried mud struck in chasis and underbody and begining to rust, which is unusual for vehicle of this age so I decided to give it for full protection and clean. Looks like car was driven offroad a lot. I will try to get pictures of car before treating and after treating.

Any suggestions if the underbody rust for my car is risky or is too bad.

link to the toyota video SD64KUF - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

The tyres are good but those winter tyres have to go as only 3 tyres came with the car and now I have 3 winter tyres and 1 summer tyre. I am planning to replace new set of Geolander AT all 4 corners. Dont know what to do with these 3 tyres.

if you foresee not much more than road in the foreseeable. id just run them off.

Reactions: Raj
Raj.
I think i paid £400 or so to get a new Hilux rustproofed in 2008 with another company, which comprised of a serious covering of Waxoyl and a thinner waxoyl mix in the cavities inside the chassis and voids, as i said in the OP having now rustproofed several vehicles myself i think i do a better job than the one i paid for.

That chassis in the link you provided is crying out for cleaning then rubbing down treating and painting properly before sealing with whatever proprietary treatment you choose.
I don't think its too bad condition, sadly its typical of the first owners of these vehicles who haven't the foggiest idea about underbody washing and appear to care less, probably because they have too much money to bother about such mundane things.

For that cost is there some form of rust treatment or painting going on as well or just top coating?

Thank you Juddian for replying. I am not aware of how they do rustproofing. Although I am enthusiastic n read about things but never even touched a bolt so 0 practical exposure.
They have a CR coating, some special coating that they make on their own to protect it for 10 years. Below is the link

To be fair my Hilux looks similar - now 6 years old and I'm about to get it sorted - why Toyota UK don't treat these properly before sale is beyond me, and as you say, unfortunately initial owners don't bother (I suspect this is also a big issue given so many vehicles are now leased), so 4, 5, 6 years later they start looking crusty - definitely time to get onto it, before it becomes a more material issue.

My Lux is a 15 plate and very disapointing underneath. Not shocking, but disappointing. I've started spraying it with chain lube. Starting to look much much better.

Hi Dave and Chris,

Yes it seems common for our cars and even Land Rovers, or may be all off-roaders. I saw many forums with defender owners talking about rust issues. I didnt even understand where to get underbody washed so for me its very complicated issue.:fearful: I didnt want to go under the car, its scary going under 3000kg metal. Wish we had some easy solution for rust like some quick detailer spray.:laughing:

Back