Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sad to say the cam belt has let go.

martin

Hi Guys

Sad to say that last week the cam belt has given up. I was moveing the car out of garage and started up fine after around 2 months standing. Gentle blip of the throttle and drove out of Garage, when it stated to miss and knock a little, unsure what it was I let it idle on the drive and it came to a dead stop, tryed the starter and sure enough no compression. My thinking is that the tensioner has given up as Quickly looking at to top of the belt it looks fine definitely loose. My question is, has anyone had experience with exactly what gets broken or bent on this 2.4 engine?
Sooooo disappointed in my self for letting it get to this stage as I pride my self on changing this kind of thing.

Sorry to hear that Martin. Which engine?

Oh dear, I hope it's not such a disaster. I had one break on a Chrysler at idle, and although an interference engine, I got away with it, but only because it was idling and not running at speed.

I can't say anything about yours Martin, but I've got my fingers crossed for you.

If the belt isn't broken, it may have just skipped a tooth, which could be as bad, or hopefully better. :handgestures-finge::handgestures-finge::handgestures-finge:

That engine was out of the later 70 (rectangular headlights), so rebuild or alternatively go for the 3.0 1KZT conversion like Ben did, miles of smiles after doing that.

Oh no!! That’s so heart breaking to hear Martin. We tend to naturally think of the worst but I hope upon closer inspection it’s just a scare.

Fingers crossed :cry:

I'd love to do the 3.0 but it's all just time that I simply do not have, with young children time to tinker in the garage is often out of the window. Will update this thread when I get the time to pull it apart.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok, 2.4 engine. My bad…:doh:
I really must pay attention in class

You don’t get off that easily Rich, it was 100 times we ad to write stuff out at school!

Surely, it’s worth re-setting the belt and re-timing it to try it for compression, before you strip it down?

Surely, it’s worth re-setting the belt and re-timing it to try it for compression, before you strip it down?
At least rotating it by hand would show up anything hitting once the cam belt is set. All depends on the state of the valves of course.

At least rotating it by hand would show up anything hitting once the cam belt is set. All depends on the state of the valves of course.
Agree plan to try to put belt back on, I recall Trev saying something about the belt being replaced before I got it but was just a belt but not belt kit, I'm thinking it's the tensioner that's given up.

Sometimes teeth get stripped off the belt.

It was a belt kit that went on Martin, I had a close call when the original tensioner pulley started squealing and I caught it just in time, so replaced belt, pulley, water pump and tensioner.

It was a belt kit that went on Martin, I had a close call when the original tensioner pulley started squealing and I caught it just in time, so replaced belt, pulley, water pump and tensioner.
Right ok Trev interesting, it was around 4 years ago or so, truck has done less than 5000 miles and next to no short work, but will be interesting to see what's given up.

Oh no sad to hear about this ! Hopefully as you was only ticking over it’s ok with a new belt kit on. Fingers andtoes crossed

Just seen this chaps. Well she lives on. New head fitted and she goes. For anyone reading this for what happens to a 2.4 engine when the cam-belt lets go. It bent 4 valves and totally fucked the head. Never mind. I’m so pleased to get back in it and have fun again. I bloody love this truck.

Glad you’ve got your cruiser grin back Martin and thanks for coming back and putting us out of our misery.

Now, post up a few pics of the ol girl. :)

Back