Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Santa was late this year..

Knucklehead

Slowly grabbing bits and pieces for brake overhaul.

So far have TRW refurbished front calipers and rebuild kit for rear calipers.
Was planning to just rebuild front caliper until noticed TRWs on Amazon for a steal.

Also decided to give the MTEC C-Hook design a go. Will report back how they turn out.

Cheers,
Dave.

brakes.JPG

Nice. Do you have a link for the calipers on Amazon?

Looking at Amazon seems they might have been a one off sale as 'currently unavailable'.
Maybe they will come up again but worth a search as TRW units look like new.

Anyhow I got TRW BHU296E & TRW BHU295E for anybody looking the same.

Dave.

December I went for the MTEC dimple/slot with Mintex pads. Seem good so far, bite well although not really done a lot of miles on them yet. The slot/dimple and the 'c hook' are IME better when used in of road conditions if my LR is anything to go by.

regards

Dave

yeah Dave, they seem to be fairly decent disks. Only time will tell.
Planning to use hel brake lines as well. Have them on my bike and are great.

Was wondering if there is any technique for removing the old disks off the hubs?
FSM says just remove but with most things rusted on for god knows how long it is normally not that straight forward.

I was planning reattaching the hub to a spare wheel and using a BFH and steel bar to smack them off through the spokes?
Maybe over thinking this.

Thanks,
Dave.

Rear discs pretty much fall off, the fronts are a pain but, after removing all the bolts I give it a soaking with WD40, go and have a cuppa, then hold the hub with one hand and use a BFH on the disc. Disc drops away, I would also replace the front bearings but, if you are not then you will definitely need a new grease seal. I use a wire brush/scraper to get all the rust off the hub, just a 1 thou 'lump' of rust between hub/disc may equate to excessive run out at the disc edge, rust will get into the bearings so pull the seal and remove/clean/inspect/repack bearings.

If you are a little anal over these things then use a dial gauge on the edge of the disc to check for run out before buttoning p.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Dave.

Was more the fronts I was thinking about.
Two minds about bearings etc as repacked them last year and didn't have the sense to change out the stuffed disks.

With anal being my middle name, I will no doubt pull it all apart and repack again.
Looking at the state of the front disks, I reckon there will be a fair amount of scrapping involved on the matting surface.

Should be fun.

Dave.

Back