Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Scotland 19

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
We set off to Edinburgh on Friday to our favourite campsite morton Hall, set the oz tent up and then immediately took it back down, wind blowing it all over the place. As much as I like the oztent I've never found it much good in wind, probably because its just a big square. So out came the small tent, no problems. Things all got carried away as they do on a night out in Edinburgh but let's just say neither of us were dehydrated..... We then set of to to glencoe and my word it rained just about all the way there and virtually non stop all afternoon and night, we basically camped in a Bog-not ideal but for the odd few moments it was nice it was very picturesque. Today we've come to Applecross and had already booked for a wooden hut. It was 28 quid to camp or 40 for the hut so a no brained really. Typically the sun is out now we aren't camping but it's given us a good chance to dry out some of our stuff! Oh and the solar pannel is working a treat

IMG_20190830_171031.jpg IMG_20190831_175433.jpg IMG_20190901_114752.jpg IMG_20190901_160544.jpg IMG_20190901_160636.jpg IMG_20190901_173553.jpg IMG_20190901_173538.jpg

Yep, we had pretty much a similar experience on our trip up to and around the outer Hebrides this summer. How are the mozzies?

Hope the weather gets better.

Just back from a 800 mile mini-tour in Scotland in the Sprinter too - will throw up some pics in the next day or two. Weather was all over the place, but a fab trip. Glad we were in a tin-top to be honest!

Fabulous photos of a very moody looking Scotland, there Josh.

Georgie doesn’t look phased at all with her usual beaming smile on her face :lol:

I’ve been to Scotland 5 or 6 times at various times of the year and the only time we had clear blue skies and no rain was early January :lol: (but it was about -5C)...

If you plan to pass Tain, stop in and I’ll get the kettle on

I have found the rv2 to be fairly stable in the wind. Would rather be in there than the roof tent when the wind gets past 30 - 35mph!
Maybe use the truck as a wind break?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had my RV4 set up in Scotland in gale-force (actual meteorological gales) winds. I was terrified frankly. I got up about 02.00 in the morning to check the guys and everything was spot on. One hell of a night, but it stood up perfectly. Got to be pitched well and with all the attachment points used. It always makes me laugh. The 30 second tent. Yes if you pitch it indoors.

Super looking pics. Proves yet again you don't have to travel to the ends of the earth.

We had a caravan awning trashed by the wind while pitched on a campsite at Loch Lomond a few years back. It was one of those flexy GRP tent pole types with guy ropes. We were out for the day at Loch Awe and the wind picked up during the day, much more than forecast and there was no sign of the awning when we got back. A neighbouring camper gathered what was left of it and put it in the wash house. The wind had snapped the poles and ripped the awning from the aluminium awning chanelling round the van. Made quite a mess.

We had a caravan awning trashed by the wind while pitched on a campsite at Loch Lomond a few years back. It was one of those flexy GRP tent pole types with guy ropes. We were out for the day at Loch Awe and the wind picked up during the day, much more than forecast and there was no sign of the awning when we got back. A neighbouring camper gathered what was left of it and put it in the wash house. The wind had snapped the poles and ripped the awning from the aluminium awning chanelling round the van. Made quite a mess.

Hence Sprinter vs 4x4 and awning/tent! ;-)

Nice photos, it was terrible weather on the west coast last week, hope this week is better for you

Yeah - that was over near Tarbert last week - weather around Largs was crazy changeable - flipped between sunny and bright, then howling gale and rainstorms. Good trip tho'

A few pic's from my recent trip to the Hebrides

Outer Hebrides_0046.JPG

Waiting for the ferry in Uig on Skye with my fleet - Land Cruiser and 4x4 Sprinter motorhome conversion.

Outer Hebrides_0312.JPG

Leaden sky at Luskentyre on Harris

Outer Hebrides_0387.JPG

Camping on the beach on the uninhabited island of Pabbay, just off North Uist

Outer Hebrides_0460.JPG

BBQ at Penenerine on South Uist

Including the drive to / from Portsmouth, the LC covered 3500 miles in five weeks without a hitch.

Sadly the weather this year was characterised by horizontal rain. Still a fantastic part of the world though.

I saw one more 80 - a white 24V one whilst waiting for the ferry at Leverburgh. There was also a very nice looking and sounding 79 towing an expedition trailer on North Uist. I think it was a LHD but on UK plates. I did try and find him later but I think he must have been on his way to the ferry.

Seeing that this is a Scotland thread and that Harris beach pic reminded me of one I took last week in Nairn.

IMG_20190828_151219.jpg

We've resorted to stopping at settle for the last couple of nights in Yorkshire Dales, weather is slightly better and going to do some greenlaning. Joined Glass last week so trying out this trail wise 2 thing, found 1 good track today and gunna do a few more tomorrow. I have got the oz tent up today though with it connected to back of car

IMG_20190903_171814.jpg

Parked up next to this 80 in a rainy Lochcarron this morning. On a run from Southampton to Skye. Can’t wait to come back up here in the LC.

D7D56DEA-B3BF-4628-9E9F-CB44FDD02112.jpeg

Back