Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SeaJays 80

Looks like a good move there Stuart.

I'm not familiar with the se plates, are they purely bolt-on units, or do they require welding to the axle casing brackets?

They look bolt-on to me.

How high is your lift?

they weld on Clive, I am waiting on a friend to bring his mig over. Mine is a 50mm or so lift, past that here in Oz will get you an unroadworthy sticker

Attachments

• Caster_Plate_Instructions_Landcruiser_80_and_105_Sr__2_.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,256
That's interesting about the lift limit. Is that fixed, or can you go higher if you have the truck engineered?

The instruction paper has some useful info and guidance in it too.

Cheers! Good post! Could be a sticky.

:text-goodpost:

you may be able to get around it with an engineers report, not %100 sure, they have recently tightened up the laws here, goes on roof height, your not allowed more than 50mm higher than standard, so with 33in tyres im probably a tad over as it is, touch wood I haven't had a problem yet, and I do see a few cars with 100+ mm lifts and 35in tyres that are easier targets than me. Too high and things can get unstable at speed, and I don't do rock crawling, so I get by :)

On roof height, I'm about 30 cm over standard if I think about it :lol:

well they don't count your roof rack. Its probably to combat the road toll of lifted 4x4s rolling at speed in the outback here, big lifts and flexi coils are great on the slow trails, not so good at speed. Mine with the 50mm lift, white line sway bar and Koni 90's is more a long range tourer to suit Oz :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
well they don't count your roof rack. Its probably to combat the road toll of lifted 4x4s rolling at speed in the outback here, big lifts and flexi coils are great on the slow trails, not so good at speed. Mine with the 50mm lift, white line sway bar and Koni 90's is more a long range tourer to suit Oz :)

Is it that much of a problem there?
I'm up by about 140mm without the rack, and I still have the anti-roll bars on, but I've never felt that the mods have compromised roll-over safety.

It's great on the mountain and rough tracks, I've got it just about right I think, for my uses. I don't go fast anyway, even on highway, so I don't suppose I've tested it to the extreme.

I was only guessing at the reason for the laws here, although there has been a few roll overs, a lot of narrow track Hilux's on gravel roads. I suppose I drive a bit like you do, be a bit sensible and don't go too fast for the conditions

Drivers side done
2017-03-14 10.08.57.jpg

I like that for the 50m lift I have. My South African 80 had a similar conversion, but that involved the 'weldup' modification so wasn't reversible. This looks interesting, and better than off-set bushes :)

wish my 80's chassis still looked like the one on the PDF though :)

over the last week.. replaced all the front end bushes with factory rubber, installed xxi adjustable caster plates, front end alignment to see what caster it is at now. Real noticeable improvement. Next week booked in for a rear tail shaft re-spline, uni's and balance, TIG weld a cppl of cracked mounting tabs on the intercooler, and fit the replacement spal fan that died last week. Also run extended diff breather lines. Had a good score of gumtree, a cargo barrier for $50 :)

2017-06-07 12.19.05.jpg
Removed my ARB roof rack, and installed one to suit a roof top tent, added side and rear awnings
2017-06-07 12.19.29.jpg
Started installing a Provent 200
2017-06-07 15.34.29.jpg

Drove thru the night Perth to Karratha and even though I had the roof top tent on got the best ever fuel economy 12.7 L per 100km. I was sitting on 100kmh for the first 900km, then down to 90kmh for the last 600km as there was alot of kangeroos and cattle on the roadView attachment 128412
YxcTFlqGCkOcR1U90YgSPTkLhU3eHv3aqBaVBcU7y6A.jpg

2017-07-06 13.16.58.jpg
2017-07-06 13.17.26.jpg
2017-07-06 14.10.28.jpg
2017-07-06 17.33.31.jpg
2017-07-07 08.53.08.jpg
2017-07-07 12.20.12.jpg
Returned from a trip to the Pilbara in N\W of Western Australia, camped overnight at Millstream to test the roof top camper in preparation for our 3 week trip up the Gibb River Road at the end of July

Removed the xxi airbox, and replaced it with one from Moonlight Fabrications.
2017-07-16 14.41.26.jpg
2017-07-16 14.42.02.jpg
2017-07-16 14.43.40.jpg
Finally bolted the boost controller to the head, and fitted a 140 amp alternator

Back