Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seat motor failure and bruised Knees

Grey Lipley

Country Flag
uk
The drivers seat on my treasured 1997 Landcruiser 100 Series has failed in a forward position. I have removed the front cover panel below the squab and am about to crank the seat back manually.
Does anyone know where I might find a replacemernt grey leather drivers seat for this model? Toyota no longer appear to hold stock and I've not had any luck through online suppliers and breakers.
Any thoughts gratefully received, many thanks in advaice, Grey

Not sure if the seats are the same bases as in the 80 but there is a useful repair vid on You Tube. I don't have the link, but it shows how to wind them back without damaging the mech. There's a plastic gear in there that breaks IIRC. You might be able to get the parts from Amayama if you look them up on Toyo.

Why do you need a new seat Grey when a motor or gears would get it going again? I’ve half an idea there’s a repair kit.

Tip- if you change your title to something like ‘driver’s seat motor failure’ then it may attract those that know about these things.

Have a search on here, I’m sure there’s some info somewhere on this.

Also head on over to the introduce yourself section and do just that and folks will have a chance to say hi.

My 80 did it and i found the parts in America but the following morning i turned the key and the seat worked fine and it has ever since ?

Quick search says this is the place to ask for cogs http://www.gamiviti.com/seatparts

Brushes get stuck it may be worth giving the motor a few stout whacks (nothing too hard you understand). Depends whether you’re getting nothing or a rattling buzzing gear stripping sound. If the former, check wiring and first of all fuses. Wiggle things while operating the switch.

Not sure if the seats are the same bases as in the 80 but there is a useful repair vid on You Tube. I don't have the link, but it shows how to wind them back without damaging the mech. There's a plastic gear in there that breaks IIRC. You might be able to get the parts from Amayama if you look them up on Toyo.
Hi Chris,
Many thanks for your reply, I tried to carry out the procedure in the video but all I got was the tat, tat, tat of a damanged mechanism. I suspect the plastic gear you mention has given up after 23 years of going back and forth. I will try Amayama as you suggest, thanks again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Why do you need a new seat Grey when a motor or gears would get it going again? I’ve half an idea there’s a repair kit.

Tip- if you change your title to something like ‘driver’s seat motor failure’ then it may attract those that know about these things.

Have a search on here, I’m sure there’s some info somewhere on this.

Also head on over to the introduce yourself section and do just that and folks will have a chance to say hi.
Thank you Star Cruiser for making several very useful suggestions. I will change the title and introduce myself properly tomorrow.
In addition to the gearing, the leather seat is in poor condition and has worn through just above the electrical switches on the side. However this does not appear to be pert of the immediate problem...

Brushes get stuck it may be worth giving the motor a few stout whacks (nothing too hard you understand). Depends whether you’re getting nothing or a rattling buzzing gear stripping sound. If the former, check wiring and first of all fuses. Wiggle things while operating the switch.
Sadly I have the latter, the rattling buzzing gear stripping sound. Also the chair will move forward but not back which means I have to be careful as every test reduces the space I have in which to work. You may well see the headline 'Man trapped in the vice like grip of his Landcruiser'.

I'm guessing you have already tryed Karl Webster and Garry at 80 breaker for parts or a good used seat ?
Wow!! Thank you so much, I've spoken to Gary at 80 Breaker and it seems he can help. I'm going to drive up and visit in a couple of weeks time.
In the meantime I hope the local garage can hand crank the existing seat back so I can drive the vehicle. Many thanks again, I'll let you know what happens... Grey

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. It turns out my Landcruiser is an 80 Series after all which may well help my cause. I will also try Amayama as you suggest. Best wishes, Grey

:doh:

:icon-biggrin: Never mind Grey, we got there in the end. We're a helpful lot.

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. It turns out my Landcruiser is an 80 Series after all which may well help my cause. I will also try Amayama as you suggest. Best wishes, Grey

always worth trying me for new parts as well as second hand. if gary can sort it all good though

always worth trying me for new parts as well as second hand. if gary can sort it all good though
Am I right I’m thinking there’s a kit to repair this problem?

Last edited:
The electric seat base isn't a very user friendly place. I make and fit the slider extension brackets and that's bad enough. There is a lot of plastic gearing and joints in there. Mostly they work brilliantly but the wear and tear of over 20 years places a strain on them. Thers's some roller bearings in little sleds that allow the seats to slide on the bases and these get knocked out of shape on the end stops making it very hard to get them apart. This adds to the load on the motors etc.

Back