Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Second Alternator

IRLGW

Hi Has anyone fitted a second Alternator to their LC80?

I have a spare 160Amp one off a v6 shogun and thinking it would be handy for running a winch etc. I see there is a second drive pulley on the engine but would need to make a custom bracket to hold it and possibly fit a charge monitor or something. Wondering if anyone has devised a system that I could copy?

Also has anyone fitted an oversized battery anywhere?

Cheers
Glen

Not sure why you would need one to run a winch really.

For a long trip I can see it might make sense. You run your third battery off the other alt which runs your fridge, gps etc, inverter or whatever, and if your main alt fails you have an instant backup, and your third batt is independent of the others.

If you feel like doing it, have a chat with Gwyn Lewis, he's done similar recently for a landrover and I bet he'd make one (a bracket) for you.

long trip in mind and had to fit a second one to my old landrover (which was only about 60amp standard). i have found winching for long periods drains the battery particularly if there are a few hundred watts of spot lamps going and one alternator takes ages to charge. I also guess that unless its a deep cycle cell then chances are it could get damaged by regular draining. On top of that if I install a 1500w inverter and a few other gadgets it could come in handy. I have seen clutch systems for emergency water pumps on boats that lets it free wheel with no load applied.

Haven't thought too much about it but probably wouldn't do any harm to have a go even if it doesn't get a belt until its needed. I'll figure it out and report back!

I guess there is no harm in a second alternator.
However, I would not have it running all the time.
I would leave the drive belt off for the times when it isn't needed.
Then, if and when you do get hub deep in the sticky stuff, and it looks like a marathon winching session is probable, slip the drive belt on the second alternator, as your instant additional generated available power.

Just an idea, as I am sure to have the second alternator being spun by the engine all the time, would be fuel wasteful, and would also wear out the second alternator for no good reason.

Gra.

What about an electric clutch off an A/C unit to turn the 2nd alternator on?

Frank

I didn't know AC units had electric clutches :thumbup: and that could indeed be the solution. I also sometimes use the winch for moving large trees and timber but never really had a setup that met the power requirements. Does anyone have an electric clutch from an old ac unit lying around. Definitely doesn't need to run all the time so would be wise to have a system that allows it to be disengaged. I need to investigate the electric clutch system further and perhaps it could even be connected to a load sensing switch of some kind. ummm interesting...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Why not make life simple and switch your winch for a hydraulic one? from your posts it would appear you're a tree surgeon or similar kind of thing. If you regularly winch at night for long periods with spots on and they have a high amp draw then I'd put your spots on a third battery and get a hydraulic or PTO winch.

Would save fannying around getting a bracket made and if you're putting such a strain on the battery, there are other options.

frank rabbets said:
What about an electric clutch off an A/C unit to turn the 2nd alternator on?

Frank

I was about to say the same. It is done a lot on LRs. Yes you can leave it to run all the time, but it will sap some power. Using the cluch from the air com, with a voltage sensor would make it cut in when needed. I think.

Paul

I'd fit a decent standard winch, normal alternator, good batteries and be done with it. I think that we proved this earlier in the year at Lincomb when Jon and I winched up a 45 degree slope. Crispin followed suit too and breezed up. Sounds like a solution to which there shouldn't really be a problem. We did this on tick over with no drive. Must have been a 10 minute pull on full load. Mine never faltered.

Chris

agree with Chris unless you are intending doing winch challenges its pointless

Reasons for and against I guess, but taking the winch from the equation still leaves a possibility for having a backup system for overlanding. If it can be done simple and I already have a spare alternator then there's enough room in there for a shadow system. If I bring the winch back into it, its prob cheaper to fit second alternator than buy a hydraulic winch or really high quality electrical one.

Sure I've got nothing better to do over christmas so may as well have a go. might hoke around the breakers to see if there are any stock parts that can be used from other vehicles so it could be replicated easily if required..

well, considering that winches have a use cycle that should be followed a decent alternator and a excellent quality high cc battery will do the job perfectly.
if you want to run a fridge etc then run a 2rd battery with an issolator and call it a day.
if you still feel you need more amps then stick a better alternator in place of the one you have and sell it to recoup some coin.

just a suggestion.

now, if you were running a kicking sound system with huge amps then a seperate system might be needed.

Back