Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Series 100 or 200?

Blue-Road-Bill

Country Flag
united_states
All,

I know there are strong feelings and allegiances on these two generations. I’ve found two southern TLCs with probably no rust and both are bone stock.

For overlanding, which one should I consider, given that I may tow a small (less than 5,000 pound) trailer occasionally and would be keeping it for a very long time.

What are your thoughts on long term parts availability and longevity?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Either is capable, however, technology issues (multiple ECUs and electronics etc.) could hinder overlanding the 200 in more remote places. The 100 is a bit more basic.

If you want comfort and tech, 200 is the way to go.

Availability of aftermarket parts for the 100 is better than the 200.

Thanks, Animal Mother.

That's kind of what I've been thinking. My 2013 4Runner has about the same level of tech as does the 2006 Land Cruiser, so I could be quite happy with that Series. My friend has a 2008 Tundra which shares a petrol engine with the 200 Series and his fuel mileage is quite low. A 150 Series could work as well.

Most of my travels involve secondary and tertiary road travel with the odd excursion on gravel. rarely do I need to "go wheelin'." Thus a stock Land Cruiser is just fine for me.

Best,

Bill

All,

I know there are strong feelings and allegiances on these two generations. I’ve found two southern TLCs with probably no rust and both are bone stock.

For overlanding, which one should I consider, given that I may tow a small (less than 5,000 pound) trailer occasionally and would be keeping it for a very long time.

What are your thoughts on long term parts availability and longevity?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Hi bill
I’m new to the forum as well and I basically have the exact same question as you. I think I’m leaning toward the 100 but I think I want either 06 or 07 to get the 40 extra hp for towing and possibly slightly better mpg?? It seems like with the 200 they took the luxury and complication level up a notch too high for my tastes. The thing I’m trying to avoid though is the automatic height control. That system seems like a nightmare if it goes bad and I’m not sure what the cost would be to convert to normal suspension?..

Back