Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Serious off roading with a trailer

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
I’ve seen a few of these beasts on the road and they are big and powerful but I never gave their off road ability a thought, until this popped up.
I’ve no idea what make the tractor units are but they look mighty similar to the Oshkosh ones they have in the States.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever question why they'd need a transporter that was more capable off road than the APC payload it was carrying?

Did anyone ever question why they'd need a transporter that was more capable off road than the APC payload it was carrying?
Good question Chris. I suppose if you think back, the old Scammell Explorer tank transporters were pretty capable off road, mainly for recovery. Perhaps there’s a similar thought going on here.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My mate drives these for a living!
I bet he has a smile on his face when he’s driving them. They are seriously impressive pieces of kit and can shift their payload at a fair old lick. I think they’d match an 80 for acceleration when loaded.

I guess its for Battlefield Recovery and doesn't have armour, it just needs to drag the wreckage away.

Impressive stuff, makes towing 3.5 tons with a '100' look like a kid playing with toys in a sandpit :thumbup:.

Bob.

I wonder where it was filmed? Truck was right hand drive, and im sure the spectators were speaking English. Maybe they knocked a few out for the Aussie market..

most armored vehicles have a limited engine life between full rebuilds. Not sure for modern vehicules, for example the t34, was one of the best in his class, it was about 300 hours.
That is why unless in exercise or combat you always see them hauled or on trains..

I wonder where it was filmed? Truck was right hand drive, and im sure the spectators were speaking English. Maybe they knocked a few out for the Aussie market..
I’ve driven past at least half a dozen of these in convoy on the M4 within the last 4 months. They tower over most vehicles and have a serious presence on the road.

Back