Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Service Interval

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
My 120 is coming up to year since the last service, however its only done about 6000miles.

Should I hold off on the service till its done 10k, or service on a year?

Cheers, Tony

Go for the annual service, obviously numerous short runs can be more damaging than a few long runs.

I service ( oil and filter) my 120 every 6 months, which is roughly 4-5k. Everything else ( diffs, fuel filter, air filter) gets done according to schedule.

I don't have a 120 but personally I think, as with many things, it depends on usage......

If that 6K miles consisted of lots of regular short journeys, then yes, I would certainly give it a service now. However, if the majority of that 6K consists of a few long trips, I might be persuaded to wait till it reaches 10K. Having said that, it may be nearly 2 years before you reach 10K miles.......so perhaps it maybe be better all round to at least do an oil and filter change now, even if you leave the other items till 10K?

Thanks chaps, pretty much confirmed my thinking. It's 6k of short journeys to the station and back, with maybe a few longer ones thrown in.

Will put it in for the yearly service.

I think that's wise. Especially through the winter, I always imagine, for example, condensation water building up in the oil, which on long runs would evaporate away, but on short runs may tend to build up turning the oil into an emulsion with lesser technical characteristics than those required for optimum performance. It's all a bit of guesswork, but adopting an annual service regime would err on the safe side.

The air filter, for example, would probably not suffer the same time related deterioration, and you may well get away with a mileage regime on that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back