Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shared earth.

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
I am looking to add a few extra lights and circuits to my roof top set up. I am limited on space for running cables up and was planning on using a common earth with branches off once it’s up to the rack.

Would the cable thickness be based on the same method as a positive, ie. amp requirements and distance. As a shared earth does it need the total amps if everything was on

Ie. 50” light bar 25a + 5a working light +5amp usb charger socket. Totals 35a. So 35a “riser” plus branches of 25a,5a,5a (subject to distance)

Alternatively should I earth them to the roof rack mounts if I have continuity and just run the positives up?

The problem is that the resistance of the earth will affect the brightness/reliability of the lights, personally, I'd run a nice thick earth cable up to the roof rack from the battery and then common them all back to that if you have space/cable if not then you could get away with earthing to the body of the truck/roof rack a 4 or 5 awg cable should be more than enough for this.

The problem is that the resistance of the earth will affect the brightness/reliability of the lights, personally, I'd run a nice thick earth cable up to the roof rack from the battery and then common them all back to that if you have space/cable if not then you could get away with earthing to the body of the truck/roof rack a 4 or 5 awg cable should be more than enough for this.
Thanks Steve. That was my original thought, an earth umbilical from the battery, branching off to each outlet.

To keep mine neat I put a grommet in the duct to the airbox and an exit grommet near the top of the snorkel and ran the power to the roof lights up the snork. When I say grommets I do mean watertight, not an O ring before people start wring in.

I'm sure a hole for the cable filled with tiger seal will work in the snorkel as well, that stuff sticks like dog sh*t.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Seeing as how a snorkel should be water tight you should ideally be looking at an IP rated cable grommet, available in plastic or chromed brass. I used these for the cable entry points on the roof and that’s just to keep the water out from rain and washing, never mind immersion from a deep water crossing. JMO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-...054743?hash=item1ed48d6397:g:Re8AAOSwnDZUCatr
Totally agree. No harm in adding Tiger seal around the hole when fitting each of these though.

Yea that's what I ment gromit / gland and shit loads of tiger seal, it's not like it's not going to help.

Last edited:
I was referring to a cable gland and a light to medium smear of sealant but hey, whatever floats your boat. :)

Back