Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shifting the oil filter

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
164236490e462e30705ef495c6589cb7.jpg

Ran the lc for 15 odd min, got the sump unplugged, oil flowing but was unable to get the oil filter off by hand. So tried with a rubber strap wrench. No luck. Triep to halfords and i had a chain socket filter removal thinngy bob. Worse luck. There isnt enough place for the chain to go around and also turn. There is the metal pipe about 2cm away from the filter and just locks in the chain. Wont let it move at all.

So went diy. Unhooked the chain, replaced it with three tier canvas. Got the socket back in. Can get it wrapped around the filter now and wrench can tighten it up. But no oil filter movement.

As you can tell the filter has taken a bit of a beating and even caved right in at a few points when I was being a bit more enthusiastic. No filter movement though.

There isnt a whole load of space jn there for me to start swinging hammers and things so looking for options really.

The official oil filter removal tool seems unavailable in the UK!. The laser branded alternative that halfords does not clamp on the filter (tried it at the store with the replacement filter i have ).

Help!

I use the Halfords professional one with the 3 claws on it and a 3/8" socket into which you can stick a long extension and ratchet handle. As you unscrew it the claws tighten and turn the filter off - simples!! No muss no fuss. Worked on my LC5 120 perfectly.

Edit - picture
29286b8ef9dcf6432a5e05a71e146730.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on that 3 legged filter wrench, have 1/2"drive version and its the bee's knees, no more screwdriver through the filter bodging!

Thanks. Will try and get one of these. Didnt see anything like this at the local store but am sure one of the nearby ones will have it.

Are you sure your undoing it?
Why not beat a hole in it the remove the outer and undo the middle part.
Stu

Hi stumog. Fairly sure i am going in the right direction. When it wasn't shifting i double checked. Will try this if the 3 way clamp does not help.

Ta

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi fella, they can be a right bugger to get off, try the metal rap round band with a long threaded screw knob from Halfords the one with the teeth on the inside and try moving it a tiny bit at a time, re-tightening each time you move it a bit, i know you've got the oil hot before but get it out for half an hour and try it again when its really hot. If you can, try and not deform the oil filter as you do really need to keep it intact, so don't what ever you do knock a screw driver through it (i know its tempting) its just a matter of persisting and good luck

Yup the 120 filter location is a bit awkward but that Halfords pro tool has always worked for me because you can get a nice long extension on it and work in the clear. The strap types have no leverage room in the engine bay

Hi Wooly0000 ... havent had the time to work on this today, but after all the antics last evening, the filter is already a bit bent out of shape, but only near the top. If the intention is to throw it away, whats the win from keeping it intact? I realise that dont want damage to the housing under the filter...

Had a go and worked it out. The 3 way tool worked and only for the reason Gary mentioned - being able to get an extension on, working in the clear with good lever. This was hand tightened my arse. Either that, or things get intimate under use.

One slightly concerning thing was that i only got about 5.5ltr of old oil out. Put in 5ltr. Started up the engine for 2 min. Added another 2.5ltrs. Dipstick happy. No dripping anywhere except.... there seems to be a small pipe that peeps out midway under the underbody plates that has a few drops of really dark ugly black oil. I noticed it when a few min after i undid the filter. Is there a oil trap somewhere around there ? The rag i stuffed in all around the filter housing came out bone dry. As you can likely see in the pic on top, the rag want around the filter but around the housing. Have left some cardboard under the LC. Will check in the morning for leak status.

Aside from this. .. fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and a cabin deep clean done.

There is a sort of collar around the oil filter housing that feeds into that pipe - the theory being it catches the oil that comes out the filter before you can straighten it up. Then it drains out that pipe into your container.

Glad the filter tool worked for you!

i found that a non o/e filter leaked down that and dripped on the floor! glad you got it off though

Anyone know the oil filter tool size that fits the 120?

I'm talking about the Laser / Halfords magickery mentioned - can't find a Toyota one anywhere. I've got one of those 3 prong removers - which worked great - but obviously that doesnt help with doing up and with an injured wrist I'm a 1/4 turn short from happy :icon-rolleyes:

Pretty sure the part number is 09228-07501 or 09228-07502 - but can't find them for sale. Rough Trax and Milners both say no too.

... and thanks for the info about that mysterious little pipe - I'll stop worrying about those mysterious extra drips :thumbup:

See the pic higher up. It's the 60 - 120mm pro goody and works perfectly.

Thanks Gary - but we got crossed wires there... I've already got the 3 legged alien looking tool.

It's the size of the cap type tool that I was after - for doing it up as well as taking it off. I know hand tight should be enough when it goes on but my injured wrist is barely giving me half a turn when I need a good 3/4

Hold on... Toyota sell them after all - seems to depend on who you speak to.

Got one!
Oil Filter Wrench
Part No. 09228-10002
£28

They don't fit great but they help more than shouting does :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back