Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shock upgrade

This is my first 120 (LC4) and I’m finding the ride jiggly and unsettled - diff tothe LC5s I tried and to a 100 I used to have. 86K and not sure about its towing history bSo what to do as otherwise it’s in lovely condition. . So wondering if I should splash out and change front and rear shocks and springs with oem. Expensive but perhaps best chance of comfort? Also wondering if anyone with a 120 on steel springs who lives near Wells in Somerset would be happy to drive my LC and tell me whether it feels like suspension needs some replacements. Could of course be perfect and I am misrembering what the ride should be like. Any thoughts /help much appreciated as ever.

My personal view would be, if I were changing the front shocks I would change the springs at the same time (unless they were relatively new) just down to ease I would try to buy the shock and spring already assembled a lot easier. I can't say what shocks you should be getting, I intend to put some drawers in the back and maybe a roof rack in the future that is why I opted for the Koni, when they arrive.

OK. Thanks for all the help. I’ve decided to bite the bullet and have a local garage ( unusually a really good one) fit new oem springs front and rear; oem shocks rear ; and Bilstein B4 struts front ( as massively cheaper than oem). Assuming cheapest place for oem is Toyota Parts on line- is that right? Am I likely to need any associated parts while the work is done? eg seatings, supports, bolts etc? Waiting for Sam to email Workshop Manual( decent of him and I see he has loads of requests) so can’t check for myself. Thanks.

Sounds like the best solution, probably what I'd have done if I was in the same situation. This will give the best ride.

Just got the prices in for oem springs front and rear. Seriously expensive- about £1K just for the springs. So now wondering whether I need to change the springs as opposed to just the shocks given it’s only done 86K but I don’t know about it’s towing history. Any further thoughts out there inc whether there are any after market springs that will be as comfortable as the oem ones? Thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don’t need a lift and am most interested in restoring ride comfort. Googling suggests kym kflex and Sachs springs come in at about a quarter of the price as oem. There are Dobbinsons but only I think from down under. So wondering about trying say Sachs springs all round with oem rear shocks and Bilstein B4 front shocks. But don’t want a buy cheap buy twice situation! Any views out there?

Hello guys.
Quick question if I fit 50mm lift to front and rear springs do I need to alter anything as in break line pipes etc.
Just replaces all rear shocks and bushes and replaced the airbags for springs..
For some reason don't look as high off the floor as it did with airbags.
So if I fit these for example do I need to replace or is it just plug and play.

Screenshot_20201017_125543_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_20201017_125510_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Its a fit and forget budget lift Tony providing you only have standard height springs .

Edit :- for a 90 series anyway .

Yes I noticed the 90 series but just an example.
just a question I wanted answered and my springs are standard anyway but will
Probably will never do it anyway.

Thanks Shayne.

So i can finally report on the Koni heavy track shocks.
Well they are not on my lc4 instead are some bilstein b4.
So the Koni came with (in my opinion) the wrong bushes (see picture) but according to Koni they supplied the correct bushes and it is my vehicle that has the wrong or none standard Achd mount.
So on went the bilstein with new bushes and very pleased and at £54 each a 3rd of the price of Koni's.

Hope this might help someone not to make an expensive mistake.

Attachments

• DSC_1879.JPG
    DSC_1879.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 12
  • _20201030_173921.JPG
    _20201030_173921.JPG
    726.7 KB · Views: 21
I’ve now decided the Spring s front and rear are OK. So just changing the shocks plus drop links and ARB bushes whilst we are about it. I have a
set of oem shocks for rear. But still dithering about front shocks. I have a set of oem and also a set of Monroe Adventure from Roughtrax. Unused ones can be returned! Oem over 4x times cost of Monroe- hence the dithering! So, any views on the Monroe Adventure ? On the plus side - cheap and stocked by Roughtrax who seem to know their stuff. On the downside obv not oem. I’ve ruled out Bilstein B4 as I think too stiff for me.

I can't complain about the bilstein b4 I have not noticed them to be too harsh in fact I would say the ride has improved.

Back