Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SHOOT ME!

1. There’s a reason they’re cheap
2. There’s no such thing as ‘all the horrors sorted’ the horror is a gift that just keeps on giving, especially after 100000miles
3. This is a td5, not a d3. One of the worst engines landrover ever made, only the 2.5td was shitter

Thing is all cars have faults and you have to manage that as best you can.

Look how many 80 series have been lost to the beb issues.

Thing is all cars have faults and you have to manage that as best you can.

Look how many 80 series have been lost to the beb issues.
Yes, but some have more than others, as the various reliability surveys amply demonstrate! The best way to manage that is not to buy a landrover!

I don't disagree totally but sometimes Toyota's don't do all you want. The highways agency workers always used to go for the d3 over the 120 as they said were nicer to be in all day.

I am really liking the it more then I expected. Only time will tell.

Fair few people have also said they have done loads of miles with no issues. If they were all terrible I can't see people buying them again and the amount still sold year after year

No vehicle is foolproof, but some are more fool than the others prove.

80s are getting old now and at 420k kms on the clock, I’m starting to have original components fail.

No bother to me really, I just fork out for OEM part replacements. A power steering hose has just failed on mine, but the replacement part will probably last another 420k.

What disappoints me about LR is the high incidence of failures of basic things, early on in the life of a machine that originally was bomb-proof (circa 1947 to 1960). It was a big let-down to the patriotic side of me.

Even that doesn’t matter anymore, they’re not British (IMO whatever anyone says).

Land Cruisers are reliable, that’s an accepted fact, and that reliability is something that Toyota keeps on giving.

I’ve no problem with anyone owning a LR as long as they enter the deal with eyes open.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't disagree totally but sometimes Toyota's don't do all you want. The highways agency workers always used to go for the d3 over the 120 as they said were nicer to be in all day.

I am really liking the it more then I expected. Only time will tell.

Fair few people have also said they have done loads of miles with no issues. If they were all terrible I can't see people buying them again and the amount still sold year after year
Im not a Landrover fan at all and my original post was about the td5, But iv been looking at the D3 we have two at the marina, one is constantly being repaired mainly for silly things, but I think the owner is a bit picky.. the other is a 07 plate owned by the manager hes never had any trouble and pulls a 22ft caravan everywhere.He loves it....The thing is Toyota as good as it is isn't perfect iv got a huge list of things iv had to do to mine but I still love it, But what is the alternative if your falling out of favour with Toyota.. Iv driven both D3s at the Marina and the comfort and power was very impressive.. Like iv said on previous posts I can not find a decent Landcruiser with my budget..

Last edited:
Comparing a d3 with an 80 isn’t really a fair comparison, compare it with a 1990s disco or defender and I think you’ll find it favours the Toyota.
It should be fairly self evident that a vehicle that’s 20-30 years old will have some parts start to fail.
There is no doubt though that a modern disco or rangie is a very nice place to be, just as well as you could be there for a while waiting for recovery!!

I believe rear suspension bushes go, are non replaceable and have to have the whole (subframe? Wishbone? Not sure which) replaced as the tyres begin to scrub out on the inside as the wheels point outwards.

I think the surveys show later discoveries to be less unreliable than earlier ones.

OK OK, I get the message. iv given me' sen' a good slap, you will hear no more drunken jibber jabber about Landrover Td5 or disco 3.. I was having a weak moment..:eusa-shhh: oooo! But wait. what about a 110 pick up:)

OK OK, I get the message. iv given me' sen' a good slap, you will hear no more drunken jibber jabber about Landrover Td5 or disco 3.. I was having a weak moment..:eusa-shhh: oooo! But wait. what about a 110 pick up:)
:doh:

Gav, take aim mate. I fear there may be no hope.

Could this just be your mid life crisis Higgy? :lol:

Maybe there should be jabs for Land Rovers. Kind of a mix of a large syringe full of rust and leaked out oil.

Gav, one shot. Make it clean ok. It’s just not fair to let the poor fella suffer like this.
No. Hold on, there may be a way.
Higgy! I don’t think the slaps were hard enough. Is there somebody nearby you could get to do them for you? Then there’s bound to be a self help group somewhere, get yourself on one ok.

:)

Higgy, I fear I may have been unclear. Here is a demonstration of the sort of slapping needed. I fear you may have been employing the former method, when the latter method shown is clearly needed.

Do you still have a fishmonger nearby?
Make it a good one, this may be your last hope!

Higgy, I fear I may have been unclear. Here is a demonstration of the sort of slapping needed. I fear you may have been employing the former method, when the latter method shown is clearly needed.

Do you still have a fishmonger nearby?
Make it a good one, this may be your last hope!
Brilliant :violence-hammer: Is this hard enough? (Im still gonna wait for updates from Stumog. Ya just never know):)

Last edited:
If you have an itch, just scratch it. Use the Disco until you don't want to put more money into it and move it on. Just make sure it's cheap when you first buy it as you will have to spend money on it.

I loved my 300tdi Disco but I was forever working on it.

If you have an itch, just scratch it. Use the Disco until you don't want to put more money into it and move it on. Just make sure it's cheap when you first buy it as you will have to spend money on it.

I loved my 300tdi Disco but I was forever working on it.
I agree.. But im in a catch 22.. Coz im starting to have to spend money on the landcruiser...' Its a Buggers Muddle'

Back