Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Simex

Julian

I do think it is kind of ironic that since all the tyre threads have been moved here, it has been all quiet on the western front

So a question, has anybody got any experience with the Simex Jungle Trekker?
I know Dr Jon uses the Extreme Trekker, but has anybody tried the JT

Ian Rubie said:
I think TonyS runs them on his 80.

Ian

Yes he does.

They are good on the road, for that type of tyre, and they wear wear a lot better than ET or ET2s like Jon has. Only problem is they only go up to 34" tall.

Paul

Paul_Humphreys said:
[quote="Ian Rubie":2pu0hcn1]I think TonyS runs them on his 80.

Ian

Yes he does.

They are good on the road, for that type of tyre, and they wear wear a lot better than ET or ET2s like Jon has. Only problem is they only go up to 34" tall.

Paul[/quote:2pu0hcn1]

To be honest it is the 34 x 11.5 that has been taking my interest, I don't want to go the whole route of re-gearing. It is not as easy as it could be for an early diesel 100 series, the ideal gear ratio is not made (4.56) for 35" tyres

AFAIK you should be able to just use the side gears and locking collar from your 100 in an 80 series carrier at the rear and use 80 series 4.56 gears. The 80 series rear diff is plenty strong enough it was just the shafts that have been known to twist and you'd be keeping the 100 series bigger shafts ;) You will notice 34's, even if you can live with it.

EDIT: Noticed the price of ETII's has gone up just a bit recently!

I noticed that too, over 5 tyres it makes the Silverstone version £200 cheaper
The jungle trekker is still a bit cheaper

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, I have them. They are definitely in a league of their own, but do really dig,churn up the ground, and aren't great on road. Think mine are 34 10.5 15, would sell them, as I have the new BFG KM2s on my hilux, and would like a set for the 80.

Tony, thanks for the insight, your comments answered some questions I hadn't asked yet
Also thanks for the potential offer of selling them, sorry my rims are 16"

I've a set of Jungle Trekker's II 33x10.5x16 that I used on my 1996 80 FZJ in Scotland 4x4ing.

GREAT in mud, noisy on-road, worked up to 12psi offroad, not good in deep snow (would dig down as supposed to do and often bury you). Fine on 'local' trails but havn't tried on rock-only type trails (where wider - more rubber on stone are better)

Selling them if u're interested (little to no mud here and now running 35" Toyo MT on new truck) but shipping from Colorado back to UK might be a little expensive :(

Thanks for the offer, but I agree shipping might be a bit crazy!
Where abouts in Colorado are you? Always fancied doing a bit of exploring over there

Just north (45 mins) of Denver but done most of the trails around here (at least this side of the front range mtns). Not done any of the 'hard' stuff and no desire 1-7 (outa 10) is fine for me.

These days is mostly off-road camping trips, fishing or chasing my falcons!
Just picked up an offroad trailer so will be beefing that up as well

Plan to try and make Seattle/PNW for a few yrs and then back to Scotland again.

Brendan

Back