Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Size of boot space

AllenTullett

Country Flag
uk
I am looking to purchase a 2004/5 100 but am trying to find out the dimensions of the boot space excluding the two extra seats.

Can anyone help, perhaps even an online diagram or resource I've missed? My partner and I am looking to do some long distance driving and need to know if it will meet my requirements for our intended gear.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

May I suggest an alternative approach? Try it out on a longish trip first, and find out that you will want to adopt your volume requirements to the best travel machine you can get. We always fill up all the space anyhow, right?

60 cu.ft. according to US method. 1.3 m3 (a bit less) according to EU standard. (As gleaned from US and Swiss brochures)

With the rear seats removed the space is as big as you would find without it being a van. Do you need the 2nd row in or out? My 100 has just the front seats, space behind for a large fridge and dog crate, in the back section a large drawer system with storage available on top. This was used previously for prolonged overland trips.

Does your intended gear fall under general stuff or do you have any particular hobbies or needs that dictate the load space?

The only limitation I can think of is that the tailgate opening isn’t very tall which really only becomes a problem when you’re trying to slot a Chesterfield 2-seater in the back. Apart from that it’s cavernous with loads of possible seat configurations. We keep tons of stuff and sleep a family of three in the back of ours.

May I suggest an alternative approach? Try it out on a longish trip first, and find out that you will want to adopt your volume requirements to the best travel machine you can get. We always fill up all the space anyhow, right?

60 cu.ft. according to US method. 1.3 m3 (a bit less) according to EU standard. (As gleaned from US and Swiss brochures)

Thank uHu, I'm certain that this is the best vehicle for my needs and am so cautious on issues like GVM that I want to keep my gear to a minimum. I was planning on kitting out whilst doing a few short to mid range trips, so I 100% agree with your logic :)

With the rear seats removed the space is as big as you would find without it being a van. Do you need the 2nd row in or out? My 100 has just the front seats, space behind for a large fridge and dog crate, in the back section a large drawer system with storage available on top. This was used previously for prolonged overland trips.

AndycruiserguyLomas, this is a point of debate with my partner who wants the extra two seats for 'guests', either friends joining us or giving lifts. I'm going to go with the least amount of gear first and work up from there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Does your intended gear fall under general stuff or do you have any particular hobbies or needs that dictate the load space?

The only limitation I can think of is that the tailgate opening isn’t very tall which really only becomes a problem when you’re trying to slot a Chesterfield 2-seater in the back. Apart from that it’s cavernous with loads of possible seat configurations. We keep tons of stuff and sleep a family of three in the back of ours.

Jacob100, pretty general. I will fit a water tank and leisure battery, but positioning on those isn't crucial. I don't need space for single large items, just many smaller ones. At this point I'm just trying to work with understanding what space is available to me. I'm dedicated on a LC100 and loath to go Hilux as I can see myself abusing the extra space I'll gain from it.

@AllenTullett , did you get anywhere with finding a 100-series?
I just found some old brochures, where the actual measurements of the boot area are listed:
Height: 1080 mm
Width: 1470 mm (another brochure says 1400-1600)
- width at floor between rear wheels: 1080 mm
Length w 2 seat rows: 1065
Length w 2nd row folded: 1735
Length w 3 seat rows: 275 mm

Thank you @uHu, that is very helpful and greatly appreciated. I've since had chance to check out a few up front and am confident that although the space will be tight the vehicle is the right choice for me.

Back