Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

sleeping / storage platform..

mattp41

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi has any one got plans or idea's for a rear sleeping platform for a 95?… id like to build out of wood, no need for sliders as ill use cargo boxes to push under the platform. thanks matt

V2 was just and improvement of V1 :) I designed it to be cut out of a single 1220x2440 sheet of mdf. However learning points were the hinges on the flaps in V2 didn't hold in the mdf so after the last trip all side flaps fell off!

V3 will be along these lines using Euro Containers in the rear section, aluminium frame better fixings etc
kzj95 Platform V3.jpg

kzj95 Platform V3.jpg

nice photos on flicker mark,i have the same truck in the same colour,i have a full length food rack on mine so thats where I'm going to put the jerry cans and gas bottle…

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
V2 was just and improvement of V1 :) I designed it to be cut out of a single 1220x2440 sheet of mdf. However learning points were the hinges on the flaps in V2 didn't hold in the mdf so after the last trip all side flaps fell off!

V3 will be along these lines using Euro Containers in the rear section, aluminium frame better fixings etc
View attachment 35509

Hi Mark, Very nice project for storage system!!
I'm from Italy and have the same car model, at the moment i'm searching solutions for storage/sleeping and i found your's here.
I'd like to have some more info if you are so nice to share with me.. because i'm not really keen on DIY! :)

Thanks Andrea,

My latest version is pretty much what is in the diagrams above but with less flaps and folding sections. Its frame is 25mm Square Tube System, like this http://www.rosscastors.co.uk/tube-inserts-fittings/square-tube-connectors.html. There are quite a few supplies on the internet and I found one who would cut the tube to length for me. Cost a bit more to get it pre-cut but saved doing the work myself :)

Few days after ordering a nice parcel arrived and 10minutes late the frame was assembled :). I opted for steel tube but I think if I did another version I'd use aluminium to save weight, although the tube is 2x more expensive!
IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

In the truck, the cardboard on the left is the template I made for the top deck edges.

IMG_0985.JPG

Cutting the rear deck to size

IMG_0988.JPG

Deck installed, I used 18mm Plywood but could probably have got away with 15mm. The front section doesn't have so much support so needs to be strong enough to take the weight of me getting in and out

IMG_0991.JPG

On the edge of the frame at the front I bolted on another length of the tube to support the front removable section of the platform.

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG

Top of the deck is lined with rubber non slip flooring. Previously I've used carpet but this is hard to keep clean if you are on a long trip, with the rubber you can just wipe it clean with a damp cloth.

Great job! very nice.
Are the parts just hammered. no screws required?
How do you strap it on the car?
Why didn' t you make the sides flaps?
i don' t understand how the front panel stand..

Would you suggest me to do this kind of tubing... or wood? i'm not sure.
I'd like to use the same system as you with those boxes..
I'd like also so make something convertible with or without rear seats.

Thanks a lot.. :)

The frame just slots together and then the deck is bolted onto that. I used Rivnuts in the frame to bolt too but you coud easily just drill through the tube and use a nut and bolt to attach it

The rear frame is attached to the truck with turnbuckles, at the very back using the existing tie down points. The front attached to loops I put in on the rear seat mount. These attach the rear section to the car.

IMG_0996.jpg
IMG_0993.jpg

Front section bolts on the tube marked in this picture and the front has legs either side of the transmission tunnel. Hopefully this is clearer in the diagram

IMG_0993.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

I have one flap on the rear section so I can access the location of the jack, but its not hinged just held in place with rare earth magnets. When I built this version I decided the rest of the flaps weren't needed for my use and just add more work/cost.

Having had a wood version previously, I'd recommend the tubes but it depends on your DIY skills really. The wood was simple and cheap but not very strong, but I used MDF, plywood would be stronger. The tubes are much stronger, very easy to assemble and not very expensive.

I used Auer Euro Containers with lids for the boxes, lots of different sizes available. I used 2x 600x400x285 and 2x 400x300x285 boxes. You can buy taller or shorter versions depending on how high you want your platform.

Thanks a lot for the help, Great inspiration. I'll try to do something.... :)

Back