Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snorkel for Hj61 Oz Landcruiser Version

Red Cruiser

Country Flag
australia
Around 2 months ago I purchased a kit similar to the one below from the same supplier from memory for $65 delivered to my door.

Installed it and am happy with the result.

If doing the install again, I would not try to take the inner guard lining out, the bolts had black gunk on them that I had to remove, then had to remove the Flare and the running board/step to remove the last bolt, to me over an hour of wasted effort.

Instead I would and did, then removed the windscreen washer bottle and the battery this will allow you to feed the hose that joins the snorkel and the air filter box between the guard and the inner guard liner.

Note put the hose and clamp onto the snorkel and feed the hose thru the 95mm hole.( don't try and connect the hose to the snorkel with the clamp in the space between the inner and outer guard) I used black windscreen gunk to seal the 95mm hole (after painting) just prior to inserting the last of the hose and the clamp. Its best to have a mate hold the snorkel while you feed the hose thru the hole and then you do the black gunk seal, then use the windscreen hole to put the nuts on the mounting studs and tighten up.

After install I also used the windscreen gunk to seal the gap between the top horizontal part of the snorkel and the mudguard to stop any dust etc getting in there with the potential of rust.

Also would not drill a hole for the mounting stud, nearest the windscreen as its 2 hard to screw on the nut... no room, also, if you ever need to remove the snorkel you would need to remove the inner guard.
Note this stud hole was on my template, the template in the thread below is different so may have different locations of the mounting studs. I emailed the firm re my experiences and they could well have made some changes.

Installing as per my suggestion above for a similar vehicle with a 95mm circular saw ( not less) you should complete the job in around 90 minutes.

Other brands are from 3 to many times the price of this unit, and so far am very happy with the finished product.

Note my vehicle is a 1988 HJ61 Update, so maybe different specs... but here I don't think so.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snorkel...634607?hash=item419a7b1fef:g:AQUAAOSwpZpcW-1H

Peter

Incidentally, In trying to remove the end of the original hose in the space between the Mudguard and the inner liner, I damaged the rubber boot of the orange trafficator light ( the lense is about 90mm x 20mm).

Purchased another Trafficator assembly from Toyota at Trade price at $64, RRP $79, spoke to a mate ( who I use his trade account and pay cash) he said "why did'nt you speak to me about it", looks up his system and says, "I could get you one for $9" and probably from the same manufacturer as your OEM unit.

Back