Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

...so thats why my winch wasn't working...

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
... the winch which came with the truck when we got it (Warn M8000) has never really been reliable, and works pretty much 50% of the time, which isn't ideal. It would be pointless to go away with a winch in that condition so I thought i'd see if I could sort it.

Firstly I cleaned all the contacts on the controller - no luck

Secondly I thought that F1 or F2 was grounding accross that little black thing that is supposed to isolate them from the body. Took off the waterproof rubber terminal cover - got covered in rusty gunk.
IMG_6877.JPG

Cleaned it all up - still no joy.

Cleaned up A. Nothing.

Went to clean up the earth - bolt snapped off...
IMG_6889.JPG

Took winch off truck and removed motor cover to try to get to the now stuck bolt - found this

IMG_6887.JPG

here endeth the lesson....

Now before I get all high and mighty - this can happen to any winch. But Warn is the only brand in my experience that looks like this after 5 minutes out of the box. I had corrosion on a nearly new Warn. They finally sent me a parts diagram and asked me to highlight the bits that were rusted. I drew a circle around the whole picure and sent it back. I never heard from them again. Mine let me down again and again. After that I went to Goodwinch Goldfish and never had the same issues again.
In short, more American made rubbish.

What you going to do Nick? I don't have any spare winches anymore so can't offer you anything.

What you going to do Nick?

thats the million dollar question!

I'm really questioning if we need a winch. We're not really into greenlaning or tackling very difficult trails, and the places we go will more than likly be limited by my driving ability that the capabilities of the truck. We do love being in deserts and on beaches, but if you reduce your tire pressure before you get stuck, there is little that you can't get out from with sand ladders and some digging. We'll be going onto dirt roads, but we'll be in the dry season mostly so i don't expect much mud. If we were going somewhere difficult or challenging we'll be doing it with at least one other vehicle. And if we accidentally got stuck in a salt pan/ bog/ moor etc then the winch is useless anyway because we would probably want to be coming out backwards rather than forwards.

On the other hand, as with any recovery gear, you don't need it until you need it, and then you really need it!......

Mines an ornament mostly but rather than store it in the shed when not needed i have been planning to drench it with Krown from a rattlecan for preservative .

I've only ever used mince twice, first to pull someone out of a ditch and the second time to pull myself out of a ditch after I reversed in to it not looking what I was doing. Both occasions a winch or a 2nd vehicle would be the only option. So sometimes you don't even have to be off road to need a winch.

@Shayne @Josh Tagg your 2 posts sum up my dilemma. If I put a new one on it will be mostly ornamental, however even with careful driving I might end up in a situation where I need a wince, and without one we're going to be in for a long wait, or a long walk.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@Shayne @Josh Tagg your 2 posts sum up my dilemma. If I put a new one on it will be mostly ornamental, however even with careful driving I might end up in a situation where I need a wince, and without one we're going to be in for a long wait, or a long walk.....

I will say, I’ve been a lot of situations where I’ve needed a wince...

Don’t write that one off completely yet. It looks bad in the pic but there could be a tiny chance to salvage. It all depends what has caused it (salt or fresh water/condensation) and how far it has gone (motor, brake, gearbox). It may respond to a strip down and dose of gentle wire brushing in the places safe to do so. You’ll soon see if there’s pitting anywhere and it’s really had it. It’s surprising what survives stuff like this.

Slap a 13000 lb winchmax on it. £300 quid and a really good bit of kit for little money. Use it once to get you out of trouble and it's payed it's way. I got the 17000 model on my 80 and I do give it stick. Parts are cheap and readily available from online shop in Suffolk.

Mr Nick a choice of two send it David Bowyer to get it reconditioned or for occasional use have a look at their backpack winch which can hang off of a tow ball or their winch in a box and yes I know I can't count its better to have it and not use it the need it and not have it this is the truth you tell Mrs Nick

If its hidden away keep an eye on its condition.
My good winch has turned to dust, and probably looks like yours inside.

Has anyone any experience with the 'winch in a box/bag' products? Worth having as a tool in the back of the LC?

Back