Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Soft Shackles

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
34648B5C-8ACB-4F01-AD46-F0E3B91E4D01.jpeg
B3997CB0-172B-4C2D-A532-6BAF3842804F.jpeg
Despite a long history working with Dyneema winch ropes I was dubious about soft shackles, mainly because of how expensive they were, particularly if you wanted a cert for the rope...so I figued how to make my own...totally converted.

I’m planning on replacing most of my metal shackles with soft - huge weight saving. Price is steep though. Much better to be able to make you’re own :thumbup:

Gr8 nice work there but can you tell me where you got the protective sleeving from please

They are less likely to do damage if they come flying through the air, though it depends what's on the other end of course. Good for attaching two ropes or straps together and not putting a missile in the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My only concern is with dirt working into the rope cores (coming from outdoor ed, the number of times I've washed and worked dirty ropes to clean them completely it's not a fun job) but I think that there were some other issues that were found in the tests that were done in Australia with them.

Stick them in the washing machine Ed. Wait till the wife goes out though or things could get messy. :violence-hammer:

Excellent vid BTW, I often add a bundle of chain to a shackled join to check any breakages. Got a couple of chunky soft shackles now so don't lug the chain around with me any more.

Last edited:
Stick them in the washing machine Ed. Wait till the wife goes out though or things could get messy. :violence-hammer:

Excellent vid BTW, I often add a bundle of chain to a shackled join to check any breakages. Got a couple of chunky soft shackles now so don't lug the chain around with me any more.

Need to put them in a pillow case or a duvet cover so that the holes in the washing machine drum don't damage the outer...

And I don't think you've met my wife... she used to work in Outdoor Ed as well, so understands what goes on!

Need to put them in a pillow case or a duvet cover so that the holes in the washing machine drum don't damage the outer...

We had a guy on our 4x4 Response group who was in recovery all his working life and used to put his in the washing machine along with any ropes he had. I don't remember him mentioning needing to put them in a pillow case but I guess it's not a bad idea.

And I don't think you've met my wife... she used to work in Outdoor Ed as well, so understands what goes on!
That's true, I'm pretty sure I haven't met your good lady Ed. This either means she'll be totally at ease with shackles and ropes in the washing machine… or you're screwed the moment you get a soft shackle as she knows it'll be in the washing machine at some point. :)

B6C7D701-0A67-43CC-B46A-6A7EE88149B9.jpeg

Gr8 nice work there but can you tell me where you got the protective sleeving from please

The orange and green sleeving above came from Australia, I’ve not found anything here. I also use the outer cover from 1tonne endless slings which is good too (but of course only in purple)

Last edited:
My only concern is with dirt working into the rope cores (coming from outdoor ed, the number of times I've washed and worked dirty ropes to clean them completely it's not a fun job) but I think that there were some other issues that were found in the tests that were done in Australia with them.

Yes there are downsides to everything. But 12 strand Dyneema is hollow core construction so very easy to wash out. For most recovery applications they work as well or better than steel shackles, you just need to be sure they don’t run through sharp edges

Thanks for that Gr8 have found some at safetyliftnGear from who i recently got some snatch blocks from 2x 8tonne for 20 quids each and seems there prices for round slings are very good as well

Back