Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Soften ride on new Land Cruiser Pickup

segge

Greetings,

I just purchased a 2011 Land Cruiser LX Pickup to replace the one I left behind in Libya (that one I bought 7 days before the fun began, never got to drive it!)
Been doing lots of long off-road trips on bikes in Egypt, UAE and Libya and am moving (slowly to 4 x 4) and want to do the same long distances, even longer. This truck has a huge load carrying capacity, I’ll put a bike in the back plus another 300 – 400 kg of gear. It’s a bumpy ride, and I want to soften it. I want to take out a leaf spring (or two). Because I’ll be carrying relatively low weight I’ll be carrying I think I can soften the ride without a problem. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Steve
www.egge.us

I might be tempted to take at least a couple of leafs out and then fit air bags so it can adjusted to carry loads

Before you change anything, get it fully loaded up with weight equivalent to your full kit, see how it feels.

I like the air bag idea.

Pete.

wobbly said:
Before you change anything, get it fully loaded up with weight equivalent to your full kit, see how it feels.

I like the air bag idea.

Pete.

I agree Pete, there is huge difference in my 75 from empty to loaded, ride is far better with a ton of sand in the back

There is not much you can do with it.Its not really designed for offroad use,I know that sounds stupid for a landcruiser,but its true.
You can take a leaf out for a softer ride,but it will sag like hell soon after or when you put a load on it.

The suspension shop down the road from me have contracts to remove and replace the suspension on 79 series destined for the mines.They fill up bins with brand new toyota springs and shock absorbers and sell it for scrap,sometimes 4-5 tons a week.

I have rear leaf springs in my 75 series that are 2 stage.They have a thickened leaf that only comes into play when the load is about 500kg+
Without a load,it rides on 5-6 thinner leaves. Not perfect but its ok.
Its much better with a big load

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Change the suspension.

Fit either OME, Iron Man or any of the replacements that are on the market. If you can get hold of some, fit parabolic blades in the back. Then make it soft enough to handle about 500kg. Then add some air springs for when you start loading it.

It will be chalk and cheese.

Back