Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

solar controller help pls

cjb80

Country Flag
australia
My Cruiser has solar panels fitted and the controller shown below.

Can I rig up a 12v accessory panel (3 cig lighter socket panel) to this, running from the connectors that show the lightbulb.

And if I can, will it be running directly from the panels, or via the battery?

TIA

Chris

Screenshot 2021-04-04 9.22.39 PM.png

Hi Chris, the lightbulb is normally the solar controller outlet supply,
This can be controlled by the controller normally on and off.
Power would come from the solar controller whilst it thinks everything is ok and should shut down when a low voltage is sensed.

in theory you could, but usually, usb sockets are 1 or 2 amp draw max. Why not just connect it to a 12v supply off the battery the solar charger is charging.?

Thanks - I'm not talking about running from the USB sockets - there's two additional connection points to be wired to, which have a lightbulb symbol above them (bottom left of pic)

The panel is above my C pillar and i'm wanting to fit the 12v accessory panel in my rear - so it would be a longer route for wiring if I went via the battery mounted at the front..

It's just an idea....

Chris

I think the same probably applies. The manual should tell you what load you can run from the those connections.

Usually the “load” terminals are for low wattage items, so it depends on what you want to run off it. If it’s higher wattage and/or might be in future then it’s best to run direct off the battery (fusing as appropriate).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had one of these controlling my solar panels and tbh it’s a pretty basic model. Changed mine for a Renogy model where input and output is selectable and manageable but worth it for the extra cost.
If you have a second accessory battery would be worth wiring into that loom long term.

Back