Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sorry- dull wheel question

Knucklehead

Title pretty much says it all but here goes...

Have been on the look out for some cheap steel wheels for offroad bash duties.
Got offered a set of 16x8 with 0 offset. So far so good.

Problem is my std alloys take the earlier 'cone' type wheel nuts while these steels use the later flat washer style.

Can you fit later style steel wheels with the suitable nuts to the earlier type hubs?
Thinking hubs and studs would be the same but maybe not?

Advice appreciated before I fit wheels that then drop off!

Dave.

Last edited:
I think all 80 series wheels cone/washer types are interchangeable on the hubs as far as I'm aware.

Title pretty much says it all but here goes... Have been on the look out for some cheap steel wheels for offroad bash duties. Got offered a set of 16x8 with 0 offset. So far so good. Problem is my std alloys take the earlier 'cone' type wheel nuts while these steels use the later flat washer style. Can you fit later style steel wheels with the suitable nuts to the earlier type hubs? Thinking hubs and studs would be the same but maybe not? Advice appreciated before I fit wheels that then drop off! Dave.

I may not be qualified to advise Dave, but IME I'm aware that the standard alloys have two types, cone and washer (as you have stated).

My problem with your quote, is that usually, aftermarket steels are always cone type (or rather I have never seen a steel wheel with other than cone type nuts or bolts for that matter).

In any event, I would suggest that you can fit any type of wheel to any hub as long as the stud (or lug as they seem to call it) pattern is the same, but the nut type you use must match the type of wheel.

I may be wrong in any aspect of the above and will stand corrected, but I'm only going by my experience.

I may not be qualified to advise Dave, but IME I'm aware that the standard alloys have two types, cone and washer (as you have stated).

My problem with your quote, is that usually, aftermarket steels are always cone type (or rather I have never seen a steel wheel with other than cone type nuts or bolts for that matter).

In any event, I would suggest that you can fit any type of wheel to any hub as long as the stud (or lug as they seem to call it) pattern is the same, but the nut type you use must match the type of wheel.

I may be wrong in any aspect of the above and will stand corrected, but I'm only going by my experience.

I think I would slightly qualify that Clive to say " any type of Toyota wheel" as in my experience not all 6 stud 139mm PCD will fit any hub. Certainly all toyota wheels will fit any 6 stud Chevy wheel hub but they wont fit the other way round as the hub centres are different sizes.
I agree with Clive, Ive had tons of different wheels on Cruisers but all the after market ones I've come across had cone type nuts holding them on. On the other hand there is always " The Exception".

On this theme, I have a question of my own, if anyone can answer it (mentioning no names Andy...)

I've seen some aftermarket steels that I'm interested in (should have posted this on my own thread TBH) and they're advertised as suitable for trolls.

I know the 6 lug pattern is the same 139mm PCD but does anyone know if the hub centre (hole) is suitable for an 80?

If it helps Clive, i put cruiser aftermarket alloys on a troll and they fitted fine, presume the other way around should be the same.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for replies fellas.
I haven't seen the wheels in the flesh yet Clive but the bloke seemed to think they had previously used flat wheel nuts.
To be fair, he seemed little confused that there could be different types. Will make a trip and see for myself.

Can't see why I couldn't fit later style wheels with flat wheel nuts if needed.
Was thinking only issue might be if the hub studs are different on the later 80s to suit the different wheels/nuts.

Cheers
Dave.

The thing to look for is where the wheels take there mount or datum from, If they are a close fit to the centre hub they will be flat types, if they are loose on the hubs then they mount from the studs they will be cone type. FWIW, I have to echo what others have said in that, every aftermarket wheel I have seen on the 80 has used the cone wheel nuts.

IIRC the reason is the centres of the hubs front and rear on the 80 are different sizes, this means cones or insert nuts with hardened washers are used, the nuts still provide the centering action but they fit close inside the wheel nut holes on alloys, on steels there is insufficient metal to use that method, so cones it is.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info, it looks like troll wheels will fit the 80 OK.

Anyway, I'll be asking the supplier to confirm that they're also suitable for an 80 before any money changes hands... :thumbup:

Back