Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spare wheel lift?

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Does anyone know of a device that weedy folks (Mrs C) can utilize to lift a spare wheel onto the hub in the event of a flat tyre? I've seen hefty workshop tools for tractor and truck tyres, is there anything that could reasonably live in the back of the car?

Ta

If you mean to get it onto the wheel hub itself, I showed my Missus how to use a lever under the tyre to lift it up onto the studs. You can use pretty much anything as long as it's about 2 feet long. Lie it in line with the hub, roll the tyre onto it and lift the other end. If you mean lift the tyre onto the wheel carrier.... I used to use the HiLift to do that with my 37's. I'd think that's a no.

Perhaps there's something that could be made up with a door and board lifter ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use my screw-jack under the axle when changing a wheel (not a Hi-Lift) so I find it easy to offer the replacement wheel up to the studs and then raise or lower the axle end to suit the wheel.

It's mm perfect with the screw-jack and when aligned, just jiggle the wheel onto the studs. The hardest part by far is lifting the wheel vertical in the first place then rotating it to match the studs.

I do this by "hooking" the "hub-hole" of the wheel onto the protruding hub, then lifting the jack a mm or two to allow rotation. It works on the 80, but for other LCs I've no idea.

Using spacers may add difficulty to doing this as well...

Tell you what Clive. it's a nightmare on the Hilux. Tried it yesterday. In future Ill lock the diff. The front hubs just spin so easily that every time you get close with the wheel, it knocks the hub round and you can't get onto a lip like you can with the 80. Sticking the lock on should stop it spinning quite so much

Last edited:
We have breakdown cover, but your stuck waiting for them. She'll have a go, it's just heavy.

Some good ideas here though. Thanks everyone.
Ok, some women are better at stuff like this than others, ok, same could be said about men. My missus is a russian shot putter so she would have the strength to put the wheel on, but would i be confident she could seat it correctly and tighten the wheel nuts enough? Not so sure.. just sayin.

Ok, some women are better at stuff like this than others, ok, same could be said about men. My missus is a russian shot putter so she would have the strength to put the wheel on, but would i be confident she could seat it correctly and tighten the wheel nuts enough? Not so sure.. just sayin.

I know what you're saying. The 120 alloys pretty much seat themselves when the nuts tighten. And she drives a fair bit on her own around Aveyron and Lozere where you can be a long way from anyone. Breakdown guys will get to you. Eventually.

Roadside it only needs to lift an inch , i was thinking of a bent length of flat bar so she can stand on it to lift while having both hands free to wiggle the wheel about , seesaw/lever same thing .

Back