Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

speaker replacement behind factory covers

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
firstly it was a grim old day today and the light was terrible, so please excuse the poor pics..

my speakers sound shite and ive been meaning to change them for a while. I didn't want to be installing amps and new cable etc, I wanted to use the stock covers and replace the sub.

in hindsight I would of used the pioneers everyone else seems to. just make sure whatever speaker you chose has a degree of width between the cone and outside edge of the speaker, your life will be easier..

I started with the sub, this is why it didn't make any sound;
speaker.jpg
speaker 1.jpg

the stock amp can be seen at the bottom, the sub is 6"and 20 watts..

I removed the sub from its mount, theres two little locating nibs that need flattening off. the holes nearly lined up. I ran a 8mm drill through them so they did.
speaker 2.png.jpg

I dropped the new sub in on a bed of silicone to stop any rattles and used stainless allen bolts to secure.

speaker 3.jpg

I then dismantled the connector and plugged directly onto the new sub terminals, giving them a pinch with the plyers to tighten them up.
black and green is positive.
speaker 11.jpg

bolted back up.

sub speaker.jpg

next were the rear door speakers. these are 4", the stock ones are rated at 10 watts..

speaker 4.jpg

remove the 3 screws and pull off the speaker, they will probable be stuck with the old foam gasket so might take a bit of pulling.

remove the screw in the back of the magnet and push the speaker out, again will be stuck with the old gasket.

cut the wires.

speaker 5.png

speaker 6.jpg

cut out the back of the plastic housing. try your new speaker in it making sure it sits right, I cut the fixing tabs off mine with tin snips and had to bend the connector tab up. when your happy it fits apply adhesive around the rim.

speaker 8.jpg

speaker 9.png

carefully put the new speakers in.

speaker 10.jpg

I tinned the speaker connectors and the door wire first as its a bit fiddly soldering them up in situ.
blue is positive.
speak1.jpg

bolt back in place and put the cover back on.

speak 2.jpg

speak 3.jpg

onto the fronts.
Again these are 4" and 10 watts.
on the passenger side remove the screw and carefully prise off the cover. cut the wires.

speak 4.jpg

speak 5.jpg

the fronts will screw in with the two original screws. I cut two of the tabs off. again, tin the connectors and speaker wire to make life a bit easier.

speak9.jpg

speak10.jpg

same fitment on the drivers side.

remove the 4 screws and the throttle cable knob. carefully prise off the lower section of trim.

speak11.jpg

if you didn't know, heres a picture of the the throttle cable knob. push a small screw driver into the hole and it will pull off. then unscrew the alu nut behind it and the trim will pull towards you.

speak12.jpg

same again.

green and pink are positive on the front.
speak13.jpg

so all done. the sound was much better. the whole lot cost about £100, the sub was £20 off ebay, as were the speakers. some might not want to bother with the sub, its never going to blow your socks off at 6" and being open air but I'm happy with it for the money and its better off moving than not moving imo.

I'm very pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Right.
Took me over two hours to post this up last night,
ill be damned if its having no replies.. even if it has to be me doing the replying...

:eusa-snooty:

:text-bump:

:music-listening::music-listening:

:crying-yellow:

Picks dummy back up..

:icon-biggrin:

Nice install :thumbup:

Getting rid of the stock audio system was one of the best upgrades I did.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
my problem is that I have stock (standard) version of a HDJ80 which only came with two front loudspeakers. Have to see how to go about it....

Regards

CA

my problem is that I have stock (standard) version of a HDJ80 which only came with two front loudspeakers. Have to see how to go about it....

Regards

CA
Even just changing the fronts should make a difference. Theres less work involved in the fronts too.

Yeah, I'm thinking to do that and then buy and install a little external Woofer. But I have more important things in the pipeline before I head for the sound problem.

CA

Awesome write up and thanks for taking the time. Didn't even know there were speakers in the front dash. Made me look at all mine and there are all knackered. The rear one is a right mess. New speakers I think :)

Great post, did you use the original amp for the sub? Did the new one come with one ??

Great post, did you use the original amp for the sub? Did the new one come with one ??
I just used the existing amp, it's pretty crappy but on this occasion I didn't want to start replacing cables.

The new sub didn't come with one.

Nice write up, great pics! doing the same thing with my LJ78, the dash speakers in mine are mounted directly to the metal dash, not such a problem with the one on the left by the glove box, but the one on the right is going to be an issue. They are 4” so I may just disconnect them and mount two new 4” 3 ways on the door using an enclosure I designed for my 3D printer. All new speakers all around driven by an Android head unit from ATOTO.

Fantastic write up mate, much appreciated. Tbh I actually didn't know their was a 6inch sub in the rear and was looking at mounting subs and an amp on the wings of the rear drawers. This has saved me heaps. I purchased 4, 4inch 2way 220w Kenwoods for the front and rear and a pioneer 6.5inch 500w sub for the back

A job im desperate to do.... But probably wont happen!... My fronts sound Terrible with the vibrations, One time i thought there was something wrong with the Truck. Then i thought Nah! dont be stupid..... Good write up 'Tho' Mike... Its made me think about doing it....

Back