Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speakers front and back. Suggestions.

mussy

Need to replace the speakers.

What would you suggest to fit in the orignal spaces front ubder dash and rear doors?

Muusy

Yeah i'm looking to replace mine at some point to so interested to hear what the throughs are

The 100 series speakers sound like the london philharmonic orchestra compared to the 80s..

I replaced my 2 fronts with some generic speakers of the same size when the front RHS one went completely dead. Can't remember if I got them on Ebay or from the local car spares shop, around £20 IIRC. The radio sounded strange on the way back from Scotland and a bit of investigation found the dead speaker. The LHS one must also have been on the way out 'cos the sound with 2 new ones was the best it's ever been!

Interested in doing this as well, think they have to be low profile to fit the panel, saw some info on types on MUD but think when I looked they where unavailabile in the uk.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I fitted some 4.5" 4 ways front and back which fitted well.

They are cheapies but fine to be fair

Are we talking fitment behind the stock cover with the above options?

I you want to fit speakers in the rear doors and want to keep the original grille, you can cut out the plastic surrounding and put your new speakers in:

bS6SQjVPNZXSsg_HK6AKj_ymuea1EMJnrUgO-sdEO2UjZpSePNh9X58ZkfZHTjgSm03jLnyV7ZRRV4nQhw=w1365-h768-no.jpg

wrWnZPNV984eSnHqpBISMo0_B7D3q-Dz8bnt6WkZ1ysQl2ICF4r56Ixs_14feaKelOaHSxABnMVIfdtaQg=w638-h1134-no.jpg

I then folded the brackets of the speaker backwards and fastened it with some self tapping screws in the plastic surrounding. You can see it on top of the picture if you look closely

Are we talking fitment behind the stock cover with the above options?

Mine fitted perfectly behind the stock covers which was the main requirement as I didn't want to start chopping the dash around. I found the ring of foam padding between speaker and cover grill was required to stop buzzing/resonating. The original foam ring fell to bits when removing the old speakers so I used some of the 1/4" wide sticky backed draught excluder which worked a treat.

In my truck the standard sub was blown and making fart noises, I disconnected it but the speakers sound very tinny. I replaced the blown sub with this sub from eBay, £22 delivered, it's 8 inch instead of the 6 inch original as I couldn't find a 2ohm 6inch at a cheap price.

20171012_152447.jpg

Blown original.

20171012_162045.jpg

Made spacer/mounting board as it won't fit in the standard plate.

20171012_162118.jpg
20171012_162050.jpg

Used the standard amp and connector, so it could be disconnected and removed easily.

20171019_151910.jpg

This is the final mk2 version, I had to mount the board in front of the bracket as there isn't much depth in the panel. Had to cut away a lot of the bracket but it's easy to keep enough to give a good mounting. The trim panel fits over it ok, I could cut more depth in the trim panel but it's not worth it as it simply bows out slightly and isn't noticible.

The sound is pretty good, it's not the same as having a proper sub and amp in a ported box, but for general use it's fine. You can feel the bass through the frame of the truck so it's doing it's job.
For £22 and no loss of space in my truck it's a big improvement!

Good work rich.

funnily enough, after spending the morning getting parts sent out, i spent the afternoon doing this..
20171019_123801.jpg

That looks good, did you have to cut the plate to fit it? What's the sound like?

Ta, its a 6" so no cutting, had to slightly enlarge the holes to line them up. It sounds better than the stock sub, but like you say there never going to blow your socks off at this size with stock amp and no enclosure.
we'll have to post up one of those excursion vids like the kids do on you tube!

Replacing the rest of the speakers tomorrow. Write up to follow.

Ah so that's a rear 'sub' in there. well puff daddy I now know why my truck hasn't been winning any drag races.. I always thought it was some sort of intercom for the rear seat passengers. Has anyone added an in-line amp or would the wiring melt before it left the dashboard. The dog will probably want his own playlist now. Another tear down for the weekend it looks like..

There is the stock amp me and Richard used.

I think the stock wiring is fused at 10 amps, so a 120 watt Small amp could be used i reckon.

stock amp? tell me more...where is it located or did they leave it out of the manual vx along with the aircon? you cant have it all as they say.

Theres a pic a few posts up. The one where Richard is peeling back the old sub..

Back