Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speedometer not working for 6 miles then works OK!!

Bowen

Country Flag
wales
Hi, have just bought 2006 Landcruiser LC-5, lwb and 8 seater and the speedometer doesn't read at all when starting off. After about 5 - 6 miles the needle twitches and then moves to the correct indicated speed. Is there anything I can take off and clean or would it have to be a major strip down with new replacement parts?

Does the odometer work while the speedo is still Bowen? I had this on my 80 and if the answer to the above is yes then the fault lies within the speedo itself. If it's a 'no' then the fault could be anywhere from the gearbox pickup to the instrument cluster. I'm not sure how these things are done on the 120 but if it's anything like the 80 then I have detailed the repair I made to mine. Have a look here… https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/intermittent-speedometer.130650/

Last edited:
Hello,
Thank you for all your replies.
Because I had to set up a Parrot Blue-tooth phone system, I removed the audio system and the speedometer cluster. On top of the speedo there are 2 white hexagon spigots, these screw
the electrical connections into the back of the instrument cluster. I found these were loose but then I slackened them off completely and removed the cluster, just to check the soldered tracking. Everything looked OK, so I refitted the cluster and tightened the 2 hexagon spigots. Put everything back into place and drove the vehicle. The speedometer worked!!
Just in case it was a fluke, I drove it today and the speedo is still working.

Sweet. I hope it continues to work and you can safely call that a fix. Well done for finding it and thanks for posting. :clap::thumbup:

Back