Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Split charging with 3 batteries

Andrew Brierley

Country Flag
england
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I can't find it. If it is, please point me to the thread.

I have 2 x 12v batteries, which connect in series when starting to provide 24v. I also wish to install a leisure battery in the rear.

How is a split charging system wired? Is is separately charging the two main batteries, with a separate feed to charge the leisure battery, or is it charging one of the main batteries and the leisure battery (leaving the other main battery to look after itself?

If it is charging one main battery plus leisure battery, which main battery should it charge?

Many thanks..

Andrew, I have something like this on my 80, it does the job perfectly :thumbup:

Basically it 'connects' and charges your auxiliary battery once the engine is running. When the engine is off and the voltage drops to below 12.8v it isolates the auxiliary battery from the rest of the cars electrics.... so you can totally flatten the auxiliary battery and it wont affect the other two main batteries :thumbup:

Andrew,

You T Max system should be taking a feed from the battery on the driver's side and then passing it via the silver relay by the air box to the 3rd leisure battery in the boot - with the relay switched the 3rd battery is connected in parallel to the driver's side battery.

Operation of the relay is controlled by the controller unit that only connects the batteries when either the voltage reaches a certain level (i.e. the tow starting batteries have been topped up) or after a certain amount off time.

If you have problems starting you can manually connect the two batteries via the controller to 'jump' start - you can also use this for boosting an electric winch.

Bearing that in mind it isn't worth skimping on the cable to the 3rd battery - The standard cable with the T Max kit is a little flimsy - I can't remember what the relay rating is (200 amp??), but best to have cable rated similarly.

Julian Voelcker said:
Andrew,

You T Max system should be taking a feed from the battery on the driver's side and then passing it via the silver relay by the air box to the 3rd leisure battery in the boot - with the relay switched the 3rd battery is connected in parallel to the driver's side battery.

Operation of the relay is controlled by the controller unit that only connects the batteries when either the voltage reaches a certain level (i.e. the tow starting batteries have been topped up) or after a certain amount off time.

If you have problems starting you can manually connect the two batteries via the controller to 'jump' start - you can also use this for boosting an electric winch.

Bearing that in mind it isn't worth skimping on the cable to the 3rd battery - The standard cable with the T Max kit is a little flimsy - I can't remember what the relay rating is (200 amp??), but best to have cable rated similarly.

Couldn't be clearer. Many thanks Julian.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back