Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Springs hitting bump stop

stumog

Country Flag
england
So I have had a twag noise for sometime and keep checking what the noise was and found nothing untoward. As my cruiser has been sat with the wheel off for a week. I noticed the bump stop isn't in the middle of the spring for a start and been rubbing. Under further look found part hard peeled up.

Now I am running OME heavies with fnb drop boxes.

Anyone else had this?

Was thinking of drilling another hole in the drop box to gain some wheel base. However didn't think I should need to do this.
20190721_125449.jpg
20190721_125449.jpg
20190721_125501.jpg
20190721_125457.jpg

Ironically Stu I heard that same “twang” from each side on a test run to Trevor’s yesterday and suspected the same cause , but finding no evidence of it I reckon it was just my OME heavy springs finding a new place to sit .

For comparison

FF8D9C99-E18B-44EA-9CB2-F65F14A217FE.jpeg

I'd agree your axle is to fat forward and mind to to.far back.

Wish I'd known you were going to Trevs as I could have got my drill back...

Not had this. Are you sure that your radius arm bushes are central - as in not either worn or offset ones in the wrong orientation?

Errm, Stu, not sure what I can see in that last pic, but it doesn't look to me as though the bottom of the sring is actually on the spring perch. Like it's the wrong spring. Or upside down.

Not sure how i did that i meant Karl's not Trevor's ?

Assuming you already got drop boxes just weld up the holes and drill them again to move the axle forward .

Not had this. Are you sure that your radius arm bushes are central - as in not either worn or offset ones in the wrong orientation?

Errm, Stu, not sure what I can see in that last pic, but it doesn't look to me as though the bottom of the sring is actually on the spring perch. Like it's the wrong spring. Or upside down.

I’m thinking the same, looks like the spring should be rotated about 180 degrees to get the bottom coil to seat better on / in the recess of the axle mount.

Compare yours with Shayne’s photo... :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IIRC the spring perches are contoured to match the ends of the springs. I guess they could have become rotated and misaligned. In any case, it looks to me like the upturned cup where the rubber meets the cone has had a lip turned up on it at the closest point to the spring. No idea how this lot mounts but if it’s using a central bolt, maybe this could be slackened and the cup rotated so the lip is the other side. This may just kick the can down the road as the spring may continue to foul the cup and raise another lip but it would probably work short term. Longer term may involve some sort of packing round the lower coil of the spring fatter on the side opposite the area that is touching as it looks like the spring is offset and not compressing straight- trying to spring out to the side in effect.

Thanks For the reply chaps.

I did look and see if it's seated right which now I have to double check.

The metal Rich is peeling up as the spring is hitting it.

Need to have a good look this week and will report back

The metal Rich is peeling up as the spring is hitting it.
Exactly what I thought Stu. As both you and Shayne seem to be having the same issue, with the same springs, it would appear that even if seated as they should be, the bias on the springs seems to be to one side. It’s odd though, as both you and Shayne have a lift, Shayne’s forward/back difference aside for the moment, you’d expect there to be a bias on yours the opposite way, I.e. towards the front, if the angle of the axle and perch were wrong (Uncorrected for the lift, tilting to the front). It seems to me (guessing here), the bottom of the spring is set at a bit of an angle or the first hoop is too small for the perch. As I can’t imagine the latter would stat that way long with 2 tonnes of truck bouncing up and down on it so I’d go with incorrect angle - which has to have come from the factory.

Mine doesn't catch as Stu's does , a chip in the new paint would make it obvious , like i said i think my twang relates to the springs finding a new sit following alterations . Its something i plan to keep an eye on but it boosts confidence that i would assume beause Stu's catches only sometimes that the axle moves slightly backwards on its way up under compression .

Be interesesting to see a comparison pic of a standard 80 ie no lift .

Mine doesn't catch as Stu's does , a chip in the new paint would make it obvious , like i said i think my twang relates to the springs finding a new sit following alterations . Its something i plan to keep an eye on but it boosts confidence that i would assume beause Stu's catches only sometimes that the axle moves slightly backwards on its way up under compression .

Be interesesting to see a comparison pic of a standard 80 ie no lift .
Im sure someone will beat me to it, But il take a photo of mine (to compare ) but it wont be till morning now.

Mine does alot off road and at a pace most don't travel at to be honest

Hope these Pics Might Help, Standard spring 12v 1990
DSCF9820.JPG
DSCF9821.JPG
DSCF9824.JPG
DSCF9822.JPG

from every angle but side on for forward/back axle position comparison Higgy :lol:

And both ours are driver side...

I checked mine last night and the spring isn't in the recess. Interestingly the recess is on the front of the cup passenger side but on the back on the drivers side. Not changed it yet. Maybe a job for later

You Know what im Gonna Say next Dont 'Ya'.......

When i got some OME coils for my old Hi Lux one spring was slightly longer than the other rang supplier to see which spring went where he was not sure so i said was it to compensate for the left hand camber of our roads or for offside for driver uumm was the answer from supplier so put longer spring on nearside so have springs been mixed up

As Steve says. They are handed. wether that could be issue I dont know.

Yeah I compared both and they were the same size

Back