Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Standard Roof rack and loud wind noise

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
My 120 SWB has the basic standard roof rails / rack fitted and the wind noise inside the cruiser is very loud. Is this typical? When I'm driving forward with foot on accelerator it's at a certain constant noise that isn't too bad but as soon as I lift my foot off the throttle or brake, start slowing you can hear the whoosh hiss wind noise. There's a standard looking rear spoiler fitted too.

What's causing this?

Do you have the extra cross bars fitted ?
If yes and they are oem, they are slightly profiled to reduce wind drag, although they will fit either way, but the wrong way makes it worse. The profile is obvious once fitted and viewed standing at the side of the lc.
Aftermarket cross bars could be the cause too.

Rear spoiler - don't know if that was standard on the swb, unlike the lbw that doesn't have one, although have seen a few swb with them.
If its standard oem, the profile would have been engineered by Toyota to stop/reduce wind noise ?

We had a slight crack on one of the roof rails, it's absurd how much noise it can cause. Also, I guess you still have a good seal around the sunroof.

Never seen a rear spoiler on a 120, pics?

We had a slight crack on one of the roof rails, it's absurd how much noise it can cause. Also, I guess you still have a good seal around the sunroof.

Never seen a rear spoiler on a 120, pics?
I don't have a sunroof on my 120, thank god, one less thing to rust / leak as it gets older.

Here pics of the roof rails, spoiler, I remember being a passenger in another 120 swb with roof rails about 10 years ago and it too had dreadful wind noise now that I thought about it.

@ Tractionman - Pic of the spoiler too for ya, it's funny you haven't seen a 120 with a spoiler, nearly every 120 in Ireland has a spoiler, so much so I thought they came standard.

IMG-8270.jpg

IMG-8266.jpg

IMG-8269.jpg

IMG-8267.jpg

Last edited:
Not a lot of SWBs around here in the UK, but looking here ToyoDIY.com - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] - does not look like the kdj125 ATM spec came with a spoiler anywhere in the EU markets (?)

In the pics, it looks to be mounted to the backdoor, which is common between the 120 and the 125, and has no provision for this either.

Back to wind noise... Its not an after market windscreen, is it ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back