Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter, battery, 24v, earth?

fbnss

Supporter
Country Flag
england
Gone out to the truck thus morning to move it over a bit so I can change the studs that I picked up yesterday and....

Any hints?

Id be surprised if what i said doesnt sort it. Hope it does for you mate.easiest option.

Should t take long to see, top man :)

Oh dear the dreaded clunk. Nick I don't think there is a single answer to this. The 24v starter in my experience is more sensitive to lower voltage than the 12v I'd check battery voltages first. Then remove and clean contacts and possibly run a second earth (jump lead) from the engine to the chassis. You can try jump leads to crank it but again my experience has been that once you get a low battery or failed cell in there there is no other option to to pull the battery completely out of the truck.

Now you might get this working with a light tap with a mallet on the starter.
Also it could be a worn starter contact pack. It's just hard to say. I've had all three.

Right, it's not the 24v switcheroo. Ibe tapped the starter, and I'm currently... letting the beemer stick some juice in it, obviously I'd check the voltages but the battery in the voltmeter is flat yay

Flicked the key with the beemer connected, puff of smoke from passenger battery, s##t myself, disconnected, undone the cover, slightly melted terminal, spoke to @karl webster tightened it up although it felt pretty tight and its alive! Never assume I'm not an idiot people:)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like a healthy clunk to me. You get a clattering sound with low battery voltage.

Is it in N or P? :whistle:

As has been said, check battery voltages. Undo one battery terminal on one battery and then test across each battery. This will isolate one from the other so you get an accurate measure of each battery voltage. Reconnect.
Look under the truck and check the wires are connected to the starter motor. Especially the small one.

As Chris says, try a jump lead from block to drivers side battery earth.

Flicked the key with the beemer connected, puff of smoke from passenger battery, s##t myself, disconnected, undone the cover, slightly melted terminal, spoke to @karl webster tightened it up although it felt pretty tight and its alive! Never assume I'm not an idiot people:)
Though a smart reply is, tempting Nick, these things can happen to the best of us.

Undo and remove the terminal, clean it up, open up the clamp and push it well down onto the terminal and tighten.

And thankyou to all for your advice :) I will make it to lincomb!!!

Back