Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steel rims and all-season tires combination

Zmayski

Country Flag
croatia
Hi, guys!

First; sorry on too many questions that I have. As it is obvious, I’m a newbie in 4x4; lot of passion for this game, but not much knowledge…

I would like to make another set of wheels for my 120. Have a nice highway summer tires on alloys; have to travel often and long stretches on asphalt. So, I would like to also have an all-terrain, all-season tires on steel rims, to be able to go on forest roads and macadam, and to be also usable during winter (can get quite snowy here).

1. Do you think what I said is good idea? Am I missing some obvious point?

2. Rims: would those fit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-stee...622332?hash=item3fc2c4e17c:g:0D8AAOSwl7dcWUif
I'm not even certain about all those markings – do they fit Prado 120?
Guessing they are Chinese – can there be an issue with quality?

3. Tires: FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3WA 265/70 R17 115S, like here: https://www.gumelider.com.hr/guma-automobil/falken/wildpeak-a-t3wa/265-70-r17-115s-953946
Those characteristics sounds impressive to me. Would they be well paired with those rims?

Thank you on your experienced opinions!

The seller says the rims will fit a 120 but I would check before buying.The numbers refer to diameter , with & pcd - drawing a circle around the wheel stud holes & measuring the diameter.offset is another consideration.As for the wheels themselves I had a similar set & no problems with quality but the technical inspection rules in Spain ment that I couldt use them legally because they were not homologated or CE marked.as for the tyres I've no experience with Falken , I've got Cooper AT3s which are officially a,winter tyre so I don't have to fit snow chains when the police restrict a road due to snowfall.

For tyres, the combination of off-road and winter doesn't go together, if you by winter mean winter roads. A good tyre for wintery roads has to have soft rubber and lots of sipes. A good offroader needs harder rubber. That said, the BFG A/T Ko2 is a usable tyre for winter roads, and good for the type of offroading you describe. (But it's not a mud tyre). The Falken would be useless for winter conditions, and not that good off road either.
I have tried lots of different tyres for winter and summer, and I got the bfg for summer use, but left them on when winter arrived and was surprised at how good they were. For winter use they will deteriorate year by year as the rubber hardens, and I wouldn't trust them now after 3 years, so now I'll take them off and put on some dedicated nordic winter tyres, Yokohama Geolandar I/T-s (G-073)

I have Falcan Wildpeak M/T. They are a good tyre. Very strong with good sidewalls and excellent grip. Good on the road as well. They have taken me over sand, mud, tarmac and pebbles. No problem

The seller says the rims will fit a 120 but I would check before buying.The numbers refer to diameter , with & pcd - drawing a circle around the wheel stud holes & measuring the diameter.offset is another consideration.

Hi, Goodoldboy! Thank you for sharing your mind.

Here is a reference I’m using for rim and tire dimensions: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/land-cruiser-prado/2009/

From there, this is related rim data:
Center Bore: 106.1 mm dimensions: 7.5Jx17 ET30 bolt pattern 6x139.7

Rim seller is saying:
Black steel rim 17x8-XF 6x139,7 ET0 CB 106,1 Toyota Land Cruiser 120, 4Runner

17x8-XF ET0 is close enough to 7.5Jx17 ET30, except the offset – a positive 3 cm, so tires on those rims would be a bit wider than standard. Lot of people are mounting rim spacers in similar dimensions, it might look good, and I’m not planning to put too much stress on those wheels; just soft off-road.
And 7,5” instead 8“ rim width – that is just a 1/4 of an inch on each side of the tire… :-/
Don’t know what those letters “XF” in 17x8-XF and “J” in 7.5Jx17 means, though… :-(
Center bore and bolt pattern are the same.

Am I reading all that data correctly? Or am I doing some silly rookie mistake?

According to this calculator, I should be good, with minimal positive scrub radius:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...17X7.5ET-65&fcl=50mm&scl=50mm&wcl=30mm&sr=0mm

For tyres, the combination of off-road and winter doesn't go together, if you by winter mean winter roads. A good tyre for wintery roads has to have soft rubber and lots of sipes. A good offroader needs harder rubber. That said, the BFG A/T Ko2 is a usable tyre for winter roads, and good for the type of offroading you describe. (But it's not a mud tyre). The Falken would be useless for winter conditions, and not that good off road either.
I have tried lots of different tyres for winter and summer, and I got the bfg for summer use, but left them on when winter arrived and was surprised at how good they were. For winter use they will deteriorate year by year as the rubber hardens, and I wouldn't trust them now after 3 years, so now I'll take them off and put on some dedicated nordic winter tyres, Yokohama Geolandar I/T-s (G-073)

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, uHu

I know that this Falken are not full-fledged winter tire, only all-season, but they have 3PMSF mark, and some decent sipes. You are saying that „The Falken would be useless for winter conditions” – sounds a bit harsh judgment for a 3PMSF mark tire. Here is some different experience:

BFG A/T Ko2 are quite impressive, great reviews – but they are summer tires. I could have two set of tires (one summer, one winter), but three sets for me now would be a bit over the top. But I’ll reconsider…

Since you like that Latin proverb, here is same thing in Croatian for you: “Tko pita, ne skita!” It even rhymes! :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, Goodoldboy! Thank you for sharing your mind.

Here is a reference I’m using for rim and tire dimensions: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/land-cruiser-prado/2009/

From there, this is related rim data:
Center Bore: 106.1 mm dimensions: 7.5Jx17 ET30 bolt pattern 6x139.7

Rim seller is saying:
Black steel rim 17x8-XF 6x139,7 ET0 CB 106,1 Toyota Land Cruiser 120, 4Runner

17x8-XF ET0 is close enough to 7.5Jx17 ET30, except the offset – a positive 3 cm, so tires on those rims would be a bit wider than standard. Lot of people are mounting rim spacers in similar dimensions, it might look good, and I’m not planning to put too much stress on those wheels; just soft off-road.
And 7,5” instead 8“ rim width – that is just a 1/4 of an inch on each side of the tire… :-/
Don’t know what those letters “XF” in 17x8-XF and “J” in 7.5Jx17 means, though… :-(
Center bore and bolt pattern are the same.

Am I reading all that data correctly? Or am I doing some silly rookie mistake?

According to this calculator, I should be good, with minimal positive scrub radius:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...17X7.5ET-65&fcl=50mm&scl=50mm&wcl=30mm&sr=0mm
Not sure if its the right rims mate , I just ordered ones that were the same as the official sizes for my 95.Perhaps some 120 owners could comment?

I have Falcan Wildpeak M/T. They are a good tyre. Very strong with good sidewalls and excellent grip. Good on the road as well. They have taken me over sand, mud, tarmac and pebbles. No problem

Thank you, Bruce

Maybe, if one day my 120 “grows” into a full-fledged off-roader, I’ll get M/T tires too. For now I’m using it in quite softer role. But you are building my confidence in those Falken tires with your experience…

I've had the yokos about three years now and there nothing short of outstanding.

Not sure if its the right rims mate , I just ordered ones that were the same as the official sizes for my 95.Perhaps some 120 owners could comment?

Goodoldboy, could you be more specific: which dimensions are questionable? Comparing 17x8-XF 6x139,7 ET0 CB 106,1 (rim seller) and 17x7,5 6x139,7 ET30 CB 106,1 (Toyota specs), they are almost same; 0,5" wider rim, 3 cm offset outwards.

I've ask seller about those additional markings: Could you please explain to me what some of those markings (underlined) stands for: “Black steel rim 17x8-XF 6x139,7 ET0 CB 106,1 Toyota Land Cruiser 120, 4Runner”.

Here are the answers (Tomek from E-bay, janpol4x4 ): The XF parameter stand for shape of the wheel that goes well with bigger brake calipers, so it would fit LC120, Those are CB is central bore , correct for LC120. So far we did not have any problems with those.

I know that this Falken are not full-fledged winter tire, only all-season, but they have 3PMSF mark, and some decent sipes. ...
Decent sipes is not the same as decent sipes for winter roads.
yo_geoitg072_pdptrd.jpg

These sipes are good for winter roads with snow or ice, although on hard ice only studs will do. Combined with soft rubber, soft carcass and a deep tread, it's good for winter, but winter only. This kind of siping is useless for e.g. rock crawling though, as the rubber would be peeled off quickly.

Decent sipes is not the same as decent sipes for winter roads.
These sipes are good for winter roads with snow or ice, although on hard ice only studs will do. Combined with soft rubber, soft carcass and a deep tread, it's good for winter, but winter only...

Thank you, uHu, for sharing this with me.
Now I know more about winter tires - it will help if I deceide to have a dedicated winter tires...

I had a interesting conversation with tire seller... well, interesting to me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163299221108?ul_noapp=true

After asking about DOT, it goes:

They - The tire season has just started, and we sell them a lot. We should not have tires older than 1,5 years in our warehouses.
Me - I'm sorry, but "We should not have tires older than 1,5 years" is not a commitment...
Can you guarantee me that tires wont be older than 2018?

T - we can not see the DOT numbers without opening original packaging, which we will not do.
M - I have never seen tires in original packages - could you, please, send me a picture of one such package that prevents you seeing DOT?

T - The tires come either wrapped in black plastic film or they are packed in pairs in cardboard boxes.
(no pics included)

What is your oppinion on that, guys?
Am I expecting too much from a seller asking for a DOT?

Hi, guys

Just to put a end to this story:
I've got YOKOHAMA Geolandar A / G015 275 / 65R17 115H TL RPB, 5 of them,
on Black steel rim 17x8-XF 6x139,7 ET0 CB 106,1
Montaža guma.jpg

They look nice, and I'm eager to test them out!
... especially regarding that 30 mm positive scrub radius...

Thank you all for your help and advices!

Back