Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering angle sensor zeroing on non-vgrs 100's

steven.miles3

The info below in red is quoted from iH8mud by uHu.

Steering angle sensor zeroing on non-vgrs:
The only indication on a way to do this is from a friend on the local lc forum. It looks like the method is to disconnect the steering angle sensor, then power up the ecu (ign on), then off again, reconnect the sensor, and power up again - with the steering straight.

What he did was to open up the steering wheel assembly and the sensor to see if there is a way of adjusting it. After looking a bit, he found that the steering sensor was giving a zero angle with the steering straight (it used to be way out), and retracing what he had done, he found that this is the method.
I will try it myself one day - but mine is only 20 something out.

uHu, Aug 13, 2016.

----------------------------

I'm not sure if this is old news, but this is what I have just done.

I can confirm this procedure works for zeroing you steering angle sensor, the plug in question is the large white one in the picture, it’s easy to get at, just remove the steering column shroud and it’s underneath, (no need to remove the steering wheel), my angle was at 38 degrees on Techstream with the steering wheel straight, the procedure will also work without Techstream, so as uHu say’s, unplug steering angle sensor plug with ignition off, make sure your steering wheel is straight, turn ignition on, no need to start engine, turn ignition off, put plug back in, as long as you haven’t moved your wheel it will now be at zero.

Credit to uHu for his original post.

View attachment 143877

Last edited:
Reactions: uHu
Great post. I finally got the prompt I needed to get this job done. Worked right away, very easy and quick. Comment: The pic above is very enlarged, so the plugs in view are not very big.

Now, last time I checked the ahc data, the steering was 20-something degrees out, but today it was on -823 degrees with the wheels straight, before doing the little jig prescribed above here.
I presume that means that the gate valves, those connecting right and left suspension at each end, have been closed all the time. If that's the case, I should now have a slightly softer suspension, especially for small bumps, when going straight; after zeroing the sensor.

PS: Edited to actually contain useful info.

Last edited:
uHu I would love to know the procedure to reset steering Mine is reading -83 out when straight..

Cheers

uHu posted this on IH8MUD which is what Stevens post referred to before he removed it

The only indication on a way to do this is from a friend on the local lc forum. It looks like the method is to disconnect the steering angle sensor, then power up the ecu (ign on), then off again, reconnect the sensor, and power up again - with the steering straight.

What he did was to open up the steering wheel assembly and the sensor to see if there is a way of adjusting it. After looking a bit, he found that the steering sensor was giving a zero angle with the steering straight (it used to be way out), and retracing what he had done, he found that this is the method.

uHu posted this on IH8MUD which is what Stevens post referred to before he removed it

Great stuff will give it that a go! Iv got to get in there to try and fix/replace the steering column motors!

Ho 3miles Steven, where did the pic go? That's what made it easy to find the right plug. It's a bit tightly packed in there, and not so easy to find your way without taking things apart.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well iv been in the steering column and fixed the DOWN & UP tilt motor today & greased the FORWARD & BACK one afterwords inspected the black plug at the side of the yellow Airbag plug.. I disconnected it, turn the car on and then off and reconnected it. Nothing changed on Techstream. :(

uHu, Can you give any further details of the plug that needs to be unplugged? Colour, number of wires, identifying features etc?

White plug, about 10 wires, not the smallest in there. Iirc it's sitting flat on the underside, a bit to the left of centre; very tight in there but this one was surprisingly easy to disconnect.

Any chance of putting the picture up? why did you remove it Steven? and your useful info on my first post!

Ok so, Very easy.. Take bottom off steering column ,Start car move steering level, Stop car, Unplug white plug Im pointing to underneath in attached pic, Turn car on, wait 10 seconds, turn car off, plug the plug back in, turn car on, plug Techstream in to check its worked, then clear codes for missing steering sensor.

IMG_3397.JPG

Back