Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering damper

RobfromYork

Country Flag
uk
Bit of a silly question this but my 80’s steering is a little bit vague but when I go through puddles etc it can pull badly to one side. If I were to fit a new/beefier steering damper would that improve the situation?

Many thanks

Rob

Vague steering may be the steering box needs adjusting, also check the panhard rod bushes and the area where it bolts to the chassis for rust, and again around the steering box mounts, other causes could be wheel bearing adjustment, worn steering bushes ect.

Unbolt one end of the damper and check its action while holding horizontal.

Deep standing water would drag at the roadwheel anyway, but check the above first, others will be along with more thoughts.

Regards

Dave

Bit of a silly question this but my 80’s steering is a little bit vague but when I go through puddles etc it can pull badly to one side. If I were to fit a new/beefier steering damper would that improve the situation?

Many thanks

Rob

IMO and having experienced this a lot (now cured) on my truck, the only way to solve this is to get your steering and castor angles in tolerance.

Again IMO, the problem is usually insufficient castor angle.

Some questions:

Do you have a suspension lift?

If yes, approximately how much?

If yes do you have any castor correction devices / correction bushes fitted?

If no, are your front suspension bushings in good order?

Is everything tight and in good service order that should be?

Can’t offer much more without some answers to the above.

IMO and having experienced this a lot (now cured) on my truck, the only way to solve this is to get your steering and castor angles in tolerance.

Again IMO, the problem is usually insufficient castor angle.

Some questions:

Do you have a suspension lift? No, it’s completely standard.

If yes, approximately how much?

If yes do you have any castor correction devices / correction bushes fitted? Nope

If no, are your front suspension bushings in good order? Possibly not

Is everything tight and in good service order that should be? I think so. Nothing noticeably wobbly.

Can’t offer much more without some answers to the above.

The steering damper is there to reduce the shock felt at the wheel when you hit something. It has little or no effect on general steering feel. I drove without one to see and you couldn't really tell. I fitted a huge damper and yep, it felt no different. But hit a bump, hard, and it will react to save you breaking your fingers. It's no different to a damper on the suspension. It floats until it's asked to react quickly.

Without a lift, I’d suggest you check the bushings at the axle, 2 each side. If the rubber is breaking away from the steel sleeve then this would allow the axle to rotate a bit, and under breaking (for a deep puddle for example)the axle may be rotating top forwards, which will reduce your castor angle and give you the symptoms.

Till I got mine right, it became downright dangerous in heavy rain, with big ponds on one side of the road the another.

Having fixed it, it’s perfect now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had similar problems when hitting puddles and bumps, I fitted a Pedders steering damper and that cured the puddle wobbles.

Just fitted a new one Rob,
Only thing i noticed was after a corner when the steering wheel returns to centre position it takes a tad of effort to help it whereas the old one sort of returned more by itself. Probably as it wasnt working very well

I don't run a steering damper at all now. Took it off and had no effect what's so ever. Even when offroad might have been knackered before anyway.

Excellent. Thank you for all of your help. I’ll check the bushes and see what state they’re in

Thanks again for the help

Rob

Back