Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering/handling issues

apc01

Country Flag
great_britain
I have owned my 100 series from new - nearly 18 years and 122K miles - and used to it handling as if on rails even at high speed. I could drive it like a sports car with confidence.

Over the last few thousand however miles the steering/handling has felt progressively less positive and less connected to the road, especially on bends, with less feel and feedback through the steering wheel. Now it often does not feel entirely safe, often needing small steering corrections and very jittery on rough surfaces and under braking as if the front wheels are being pulled left and right.

The AHC fluid has been changed and suspension appears to be fine although slightly lower on the front nearside by a centimetre or so. The wheel alignment was recently adjusted and is now perfect and will run as straight as an arrow on smooth roads. I would not rule out a suspension issue however.

So the question is - what could be the cause of the progressive handling deterioration and what can be done about it?

I have read here and elsewhere that adjusting the steering box - which has never been adjusted before - might help.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Steering rack/bushes/tie rod ends worn out perhaps?

Just a guess TBH - I'm sure a 100 expert will be along to give a more thorough analysis of probable causes...

Assuming IFS means steering rack how about changing the fluid ?

I would check the steering rack bushings, my original rubber ones were replaced with a poly set and the difference was dramatic.
To check if your bushes are worn get someone to shake the steering wheel and see if the rack moves, mine moved about 8 mm left and right, before the slack was taken up.
lastly have a good look at the tyres I renewed mine for some BFG s and that made a marked difference too.
Hope this helps

I did a big overhaul at 90K miles which included upper / lower suspension arm bushes, drip links etc. I'll also look at torsion bars for the height difference. Ref the AHC suspension. It will be well worth re-gassing them at that age. When my 100 was about 10 / 11 years old I had mine done and they had 50% pressure left. 18 years and I guess they are about done. If you let them go completely flat, it will cost more and may damage other components on the suspension.

Thanks very much everyone. There seems to be plenty of possibilities to investigate which I will do. I want the car handling as well as it always did.

Any other suggestions most welcome.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
as well as the above check the front wheel bearings don't have any play and when checking bushes don't forget the rear axle control arms as they can have a dramatic effect on steering feel when they are worn.

Simple steering tracking alignment could account for the symptoms you give, so I suggest you start simple (and cheap) and work your way up the price/difficulty list in that order.

Worth checking the tracking first. My 80 will wander and grab the steering quite worryingly when the tracking is toeing out just a little too much. I've always done my own tracking and my problem slowly got worse possibly with tyre wear as there are no other wear or changes in the mechanical side of things.

I know with IFS the wishbone bushes can sag over time and alter the tracking whereas with the solid front axle 80 this can't happen. Other bushes can deteriorate on the 80 steering but there are none that affect the tracking.

I had the wheel alignment adjusted about 6 months ago and now seems perfect. On A smooth surface it runs as straight as an arrow and there is no abnormal tyre wear. On a less than smooth surface and often when braking the wheels feel as if they are being yanked from side to side as of play in the system somewhere. The front nearside also seems a bit lower and less connected, especially on left hand bends or turns.

Steering box

Thanks again for all the replies and advice

I am taking the car to the mechanics with a list of things to check as suggested here.

I have also read that the steering box can also benefit from tightening/adjustment - is this the case and is it worth adding to the list?

There isn't a steering box on the 100 but a rack instead. In the old days they were self adjusting but I don't know the 100 rack.

There isn't a steering box on the 100 but a rack instead. In the old days they were self adjusting but I don't know the 100 rack.

Thanks for the clarification. It must have been the 80 series I was reading about. Had one of them for years before the 100, that was an awesome car too.

I wont bother with the steering tack then from what you say.

I don't know the 100 but i will assume it has a sway or anti roll bar ?

I would never have believed the roll bar links were strong enough to effect steering much but i am inclined to think i failed an mot on steering rack bushes (which were actually good) because the links were seized solid .

Other bushes are worn and the tie rod ends are being replaced but they all work as they should , my roll bar may as well be welded in which makes me think they were the cause .

Mines a swb colorado .

Last edited:
I had the same problems as apc01, followed the instructions in this tread. There is a huge difference. Thank you all so much.

The rack may be loose though even if not adjustable.

So I took my car in for its MOT today which it passed without any issues. I also asked them to check everything mentioned here for the steering issues.

He thinks it is the steering rack causing the handling issues.

Question - as this seems to be an expensive job for a new rack - which he suggested it needs - and labour, can the rack be adjusted, tightened, bushings replaced etc?

I definitely don't want to spend a lot of money having a new rack fitted if it does not resolve the issues.

Thanks.

If it needed seals it would be leaking , I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to remove the rack on my 90 , only 3 bolts hold it in place and each bolt has a bush which is far more likely to fail than the rack itself .

I had some very odd handling issues that were cured by changing the pan hard rod and trailing arm bushes on the rear axle , the symptoms are difficult to explain but it felt as though my truck was somehow unbalanced .

Last edited:
I would still recommend a very good check in the steering rack mounting bushes, from memory they are hard to see as they are behind the engine bash plate.
If they are the originals I am nearly sure there will be some movment, I have not heard many steering rack problems.

Back