Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering Knuckle Seals

safhawk

Country Flag
uk
I have been using my recently imported 1979 BJ41. Had to free off seized rear brakes when I first got it. Now after a bit of use there is a slight oil leak from the steering knuckles. In the manual there are two types - ball joint axel shaft or constant velocity axle shaft. Do I need different gasket for each type? Any suggestions for suppliers?

Hi Safhawk and welcome...

Are you the same guy who posted on the FB 40 series owners Oz?

As far as I am aware the knuckle gasket set will fit both types but that's based on doing mine several times over the last 16 years and I've never been asked which nor had a problem with the kit/s which would suggest that the kit fits both types.

Good suppliers in Europe:

Euro4x4 ship worldwise: http://euro4x4parts.com/

or

Megastore4x4: http://www.megastore4x4.pt

Hope that helps

Regards,

Rodger

All Toyota solid front axles are pretty much the same design from the 1960's up to the present day ones used on 70 series LC's. The cv joint is on the axle inside the ball joint. Sometimes called birfield or birfs in America.

If oil is leaking, it means the seal between the axle and the joint needs replaced. The oil should be in the axle/diff while the cv/birf should have moly grease. If they mix it will not lubricate the joint properly and will escape from the felt seal at the back of the hub.
If you search FJ40 axle rebuild there are numerous resources to help.

To check the part numbers go on www.japan-parts.eu , put in your year and model code and you can check the part numbers.

You can get parts from Toyota or Milners or roughtrax in the UK. Depending where you are

Hi Steve,

Glad to see you made it here - Yes Rodger, it is the same person.

Ed

If I remember correctly from the FB post, this 41 was imported to Australia from Europe but the knuckles for all are the same regardless of market designation or, at least, that's my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong), so knuckle kits available in Australia should be identical to those available in Europe.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi.

Yes, I posted on facebook as well as here.

Thanks for info, should now be able to track down parts. Don't know when I am going to find time to fit them!! Meanwhile I have put more moly grease in knuckles and topped up diff - needed over a litre!

My BJ41 was imported from Japan to UK.

Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Steve,

I find it very interesting that your BJ41 was imported to the UK from Japan. As far as I know only one 40 series was officially imported and that was for Toyota UK to pull their exhibition unit around to various events. Around this time - 70s + - quotas were in place restricting imports to protect UK manufacturing.

Obviously you know something of its history and I, for one, would be very interested to hear the story.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger - nothing very interesting I imported it myself, this year. Quite a lot of cars that are not available in UK are imported from Japan, either privately or by dealers, they are known as "grey" imports. About 15 years ago I had Mitsubishi Delica L300 4x4 that I brought at an auction in Southampton, a company was bring a ship load of vehicles from Japan and holding an auction at the docks. Steve

Now I understand, so it's a Japanese spec BJ41V-KY (by the looks of it) 2B with a 4speed?
I should have sussed 'grey' as when I was a magazine publisher back in the 90s we had a title called 'GreyBike' and there were some amazing bikes being imported. My favourite being a Suzuki 400 that had a 'credit card' control. So on a track day you selected the nearest Japanese track to the track you were at, inserted said card and it reset engine, suspension, etc into a race bike. When finished you inserted the 'road card' and it was back to a road bike. Very clever!
But I digress...

Regards,

Rodger

Back