Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steps, rock rails, whatever...

Dave_S

Hi all,

The stock running boards on Overkill are well past their prime - bent, bashed and generally the worse for wear. I'm toying with seeing if a local engineering place can make me up a set of replacements, maybe out of 2" box... but before I do, has anyone found a decent source of these ready made? Note that my nippers use the steps for access - if not, I'd be tempted to just bin them and leave the truck bare.... Thoughts???

Thanks

Dave S

Did the rocker slider thing on the Discovery a few years back and I too needed the steps, the only issue I had when having sliders doubling as steps is the danger of slipping off them when getting in and out if they were wet. I did try the adhesive gripper a sort of emery paper with a sticky backing, this was no good, it peeled off in the heat and curled up on the corners. Next up was the local hardware store sold rubber matting by the metre, I eventually cut that into strips and used HD adhesive, this bonded to the metal and the rubber, I used it to bridge from the sill below the door across to the slider, this gave a larger area for the adhesive and they stayed put for the remainder of ownership.

regards

Dave

I think it depends on what sort of lift there is on the truck Dave S.

No steps with a 6" plus lift is challenging. Mine has a 110mm (4") and it's a bit of a haul up without steps. I went the ARB steps route and for a lot of money, you get well, just steps.

If you do any amount of off-road, I would go for sliders and 2" box sounds just fine. Have them made with "U" bolt attachments to the chassis and top them with some chequer plate or expamet. There's some Chris J made on a thread on here, can't think which one though and I've seen others posted which are similar.

Done correctly, they look no more than steps, but they will offer a lot of protection to the side of the truck and objects (not always rocks) punching up from underneath.

I had a tree branch in the forest punch up under my step and the step deflected it into the sill, leaving a dented outer sill, which is a bit annoying...

I've been looking at a set of these from JV. I do a lot of play in a local quarry so wanted something heavy duty attached to chassis rails.
Think he can also do up a set of more heavy duty traditional style side steps if not wanting the full on sliders.
http://www.overland-cruisers.co.uk/workshops/fabrication/

Worth noting chassis mounted sliders have different brackets for manual vs auto boxes.

There is also standard type replacements but more for show/access than taking thumps:
http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/prod...-98)/SC/PG/GCTOLA80/PRvehicle/FB/FPSIDEB.html

Cheers guys.

Clive - running a 2 inch lift and 285/75/16s - not a problem for Janet and I, we're both scratching 6 foot, but the kids struggle and use the steps to get in.

I've fitted rock rails to XJs and Defenders before, but not seen much for 80 series here in the UK.

Hadn't twigged that manual and auto would be different - good to know!!!

I made my sliders to fit under the stock side steps. Took a bit of thinking but had to work round the cat convertors too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I made my sliders to fit under the stock side steps. Took a bit of thinking but had to work round the cat convertors too.

Thats great if you specifically want to keep the stock "look".

Dont get me wrong, the ARB steps are very strong and resist side impacts pretty well, they've saved damage to the doors on several occasions when side-sliding into trees and rocks (I've tried them both :icon-rolleyes: :lol: ) but they don't pretend to be rock sliders.

I'm also in the market for rock sliders. I took my wife out off-roading this last Sunday, and she loved it, minus the climbing in and out of the rig. This provides me a great excuse for a pair of sliders. Plus, I hit a rock which slightly damaged my exhaust and cracked a flange, which added a delightful little annoying "tinging" noise at idle.

I just ordered a compromise sill protection called a "rock rail".

They weigh 25# a pair, and are remarkably good low profile protection, gaining extra clearance in the process.

Drivers 1.jpgDrivers 2.jpgDrivers underside.jpg

They are low profile, as you can see, can bear the weight of the vehicle, despite being attached to the sill, and are about EUR 300.

The guy who makes them (in the US, unfortunately) has some video around the internet, showing himself completely high bottoming on a rock with no damage.

They do not replace rock sliders for radical use, but they do 90% of the job of rock sliders at 33% the cost. I think they are a great option.

year ago they were £450 + VAT.
Might be worth dropping JV an email for up to date cost:
[email protected]

Worth keeping in mind the auto steps are different to manual if ordering.

Dave.

Last edited:
Has anyone got a guesstimate of how much the sliders are from JW ?

Do you mean JW or JV? I have a set of JW sliders on my 80 but they were fitted a few years ago IIRC about £300, I don't know how much JV's sliders are.

Yep typo, the sliders I was looking at were from Julian at overland cruisers.
If you can get a set of similar quality for £300 then its a very good price.

Dave.

Yep typo, the sliders I was looking at were from Julian at overland cruisers.
If you can get a set of similar quality for £300 then its a very good price.

Dave.

It was about 6/7yrs ago, prices have gone up and I can't fault the quality they have taken some punishment and saved much damage. I could be misremembering the cost as well.

custom_sliders1.jpgcustom_sliders2.jpgI've emailed JV but who is JW ?? To be honest i dont mind if its JC himself :icon-biggrin:
What i want is the box section slider under the sill and the tread plates to look like these, Oh and the little stubby bit that lets me add those side bars that tie to the bumper.

If anyone knows someone who is a wizard with a welder and wants to send a few quid someones way let me know

Thanks again for all your help.

If it's of any use, I have the side bars, part of the ARB kit for steps and side bars in one package.

image.jpeg

The side bars are tubing which narrows at the step and inserts into the end of the step tubing, secured with a bolt through. I don't know if there could be a better way to mount them TBH, it seems to work well and looks quite neat.

The step tubing is prone to stone chips and rusting, but there's not much you can do about that besides a rub down and lick of paint every so often. Where the side bars mount to the bumper can be improved. On mine, there are 3 coach bolts which rust and become quite unsightly. I'd recommend stainless bolts, but that goes without saying for any other bolts on the truck IMO.

If you need any more photos of the ARB set-up, I'm happy to post them on request.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Clive.

Thats exactly what i'm after (we even have the same colour cruiser)

I manged to get a OEM alloy bumper on ebay but it has no hoops, I'm looking to get some 3" alloy tube bent up for the "A" section and 60mm tube for the headlight protection.

I've looked at a few catalogues we have at work for handrail fittings and im going to use the below or similar for the sidebar to bullbar joint. They come in marine/offshore spec and they'll be powdercoated black so hopefully no corrosion.

As my signature says i am avoiding ARB wherever possible, I have to say its pretty difficult and i had to recently relent and get the ARB double compressor kit from ebay (Was too much of a bargain to refuse)

A few shots of where the tube meets the slider would be good but no hurry as im not near the cruiser for a few weeks.

key clamp.png

I've made several sets of these, but the last set I capped off with some after market tops. Round bars are so slippery. These have been perfect so far.

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 08.07.44.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 08.08.06.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 08.08.24.jpg

Thanks Clive.

Thats exactly what i'm after (we even have the same colour cruiser)

I manged to get a OEM alloy bumper on ebay but it has no hoops, I'm looking to get some 3" alloy tube bent up for the "A" section and 60mm tube for the headlight protection.

I've looked at a few catalogues we have at work for handrail fittings and im going to use the below or similar for the sidebar to bullbar joint. They come in marine/offshore spec and they'll be powdercoated black so hopefully no corrosion.

As my signature says i am avoiding ARB wherever possible, I have to say its pretty difficult and i had to recently relent and get the ARB double compressor kit from ebay (Was too much of a bargain to refuse)

A few shots of where the tube meets the slider would be good but no hurry as im not near the cruiser for a few weeks.

View attachment 25326

I think I have a set of those sidebar to bulbar joints, ARB ones. I don't need them. When I got the ARB rear bumper for my hilux, I got sent a sidestep fitting kit in error, which has those joints.
If you cover postage, I can send them - assuming you are in UK?

Back