Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Straight through exhaust

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
Anybody running a straight through exhaust or removed box or 2?

Is the noise bearable or extremely loud.

My front pipe has went and it went just before the front box so its 1 option to straight pipe it but i dont want a deafing drone either.

Thanks

I've run both straight through and with just the rear box removed. The best bit to lose is the bend over the rear axle. Some better quality exhausts are smoothly bent, but most have a squished bit which really affects the performance. In removing that, I diverted mine out of the side. Yes it's louder but I wouldn't call it a deafening drone. It doesn't bother me at all even with the window open. It may be a diesel but it sounds pretty good. Easy enough to chop the back box out and still exit at the rear. Better still if you can smooth out the pipe over the rear axle.

Thats with front and middle removed?

I'm running the standard front silencer a straight bit of pipe then a kink just before the back wheel. It's hardly any different up until about 2100rpm then it starts to drone a bit. Does sound sweet on full chat though I must say

I'm running the standard front silencer a straight bit of pipe then a kink just before the back wheel. It's hardly any different up until about 2100rpm then it starts to drone a bit. Does sound sweet on full chat though I must say
Sons hilux is the same configuration Josh, it souns great

I've had all the combos really Lexie. The very back box is called the resonator. Not sure if it's there to just fine tune the sound. All I have in now is the small front box after the down pipe simply because it's a new section pretty much and I just didn't cut it out when I installed it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What about front and middle boxes straight pipe and just back box in place. Shouldnt be too loud or a drone?

Had a 3 inch side exhaust fitted last year and to avoid the droning noise had two centre boxes fitted. Properly could of had one just that my turbo was not running right at the time to evaluate properly. Like the way its feels stock with no noise just the whistle from the turbo.

I replaced mine because I had to is yours needing replacing?

I ran a 3” straight through on my 80, not unbearable at all, you can get a 3” exhaust between the chassis and body with no problems so removes the squished bit, not a fan of side exit exhausts, just my personal preference to have it out the back.

Mines just got the silencer in the middle. Tbh I find the drone a bit annoying on a 1200 mile slog. so im having the resonator fitted. They are free flowing so dont effect performance.

One thing that's truly worth checking on any 80 is the seal around your rear (lower) tailgate. Lift the top section and peer over the tailgate. It's very common to find that the deck doesn't actually touch the rubber seal. Years of picnicking backsides and people standing on them leave them distorted. You will be amazed at how much quieter your 80 will be if you fix this. Especially if you have a rear exiting exhaust pipe. It's effectively like having one of the windows open slightly.

I had a 3" SS exhaust made locally with side exit and 2 boxes. The plan was to just have the one box at the front but it was just too loud so they added a 2nd just before the exit which makes it bearable. Sounds nice round town but, to be honest, can be a bit of a pain on long motorway journeys which is probable more to do with the fact that the exit pipe is around 4 ft from the driver's ear. A rear exit would be much quieter no doubt, even without a 3rd box.

On my 24V auto I just removed the centre box and fitted a rear section without the squashed pipe. It does pick up a bit quicker without droning or extra noise.

On my 80 I've had a 12v and a 24v with the same 65mm pipe. Side exit with just the small front box. The 12v is a hell of a lot louder and blairy! 24v so much quieter. I have the side exit because when I'm hooking up the trailer in the morning on warm up, it doesn't gas me when hooking up the trailer as bad or at all as the standard setup. Plus you don't have so much pipework to change unless you go for a stainless setup!

Going to remove front and middle box and keep stand back box. Trial and error to see what i like.

Good point on the hooking up of trailer

We chopped out the back box, sounds a little more farty at revs, but seriously picks up better. Was amazed at the difference in spool up. That said, the back box was some chrome arsed POS that the previous owner had fitted - we've spent a lot of time undoing the random shite that "Landcruiser enthusiast" did badly. Ho hum. But anyway, losing the back box is no bad thing.

My HZ SS system has a big box in the middle, smaller one just before the back axle, then just the pipe going over the axle and rear exit.

Sounds nice, and no noticeable or annoying drone.

As a comparison on my petrol. Has full stainless system with 2 free flow cats and one largish centre box, exits behind the rear wheel. Between 50 and 60 mph it drones and it's annoying as hell on motorways if in roadworks. It's not loud more a deep tone.

An exhaust can be tuned its just sound waves bouncing , on my 90 it's a straight through 3" with a large muffler in the centre , the diameter makes for a deep tone and the muffler removes the sharpness of sound . Mine can't be heard on a motorway but if i want to make sure i'm seen at a busy roundabout a heavy right foot turns everyone's head . I will be looking for something similar on the 80 .

Our diesels don't actually need an exhaust its there to be polite is all

Last edited:
Just to add to the mix ,
My 24V is running original front section , original centre box but in reality that is straight through as we cut it open and welded a straight section of pipe inside before zipping it up again , and an original rear pipe ( these don't seem to have the crush in the over axle section that pattern ones do )
It is more free flowing but looks original and gives a pleasant rumble around town without droning on the M Way
Have seen a real nice Stainless 3 inch system in Oz for £500 but getting it here is another £300 , this is a full rear exit system

Back