Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange noise - bad surprise

Aeronick

Country Flag
italy
I noticed a changing in the noise and looking the truck is been very easy to find a bad surprise...

Do you have any suggestion on repair or replacement?

20181209_104856.jpg

Looks like it can be welded back from what I can see. Cheap fix but unusual to see tbh?

Second one I’ve seen this year. Best thing looking at the rest is to replace with the genuine Toyota one. Roughtrax supply them and they are expensive but I reckon I’ve had more than 7 years out of mine. I have just made up a stainless replacement section in 3” and found the pattern I copied (thanks Trevor) was after market and a smaller size pipe. Welding will only go so far but if you intend keeping the truck (which I have no doubt you do) my choice would be to swap the front section for genuine Toyota.

If you need a genuine Centre section too, let me know as I have a new one that will be coming up later next year.

If money is tight just get a longer length of flexipipe chop the old out and weld the new one in

Last edited:
Both my 80 ‘s suffered the same issue. What shayne said or a new front pipe. The cheap ones seem to last about 5 years or so

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When I had my exhaust made the guy told me the flexi isn't long enough and he'd made many for that reason of flexi's breaking like yours. You can weld in a longer flexi If the rest of the exhaust is ok

Both the Toyota ones I’ve had went down the weld seams not on the flexi. Having seen, and felt the weight of the 3” stainless one supplied by Jetex I believe there’s flexis and there’s flexis. It’s the hottest bit of the system so it suffers most.

Very common to fail there. The mesh stuff you can see isn't the flexi. It's just a covering and it tends to hold water around the weld. Obviously it dries out when hot, but water collects in there. If you pull it apart you'll find a big sort of concertina pipe in there. I've welds a few where they're just small cracks but welding that back together would be a nightmare. It's paper thin.

Good luck with it.
In case a replace it...
I'm not a good welder, so I take the opportunity to do the job with a friend of mine that is a very good one!
Could be a funny and interesting evening at last!
There's always time to replace it

Had similar cracks and had been patched up several times from previous owners for mine. These are generally only temporary fixes so thats good to get yours back on OK.

I changed my exhaust to a larger upgraded SS one eventually as it was overdue for replacement over the years so that might me an option for you at some point.

Had similar cracks and had been patched up several times from previous owners for mine. These are generally only temporary fixes so thats good to get yours back on OK.

I changed my exhaust to a larger upgraded SS one eventually as it was overdue for replacement over the years so that might me an option for you at some point.
That's good too know, thanks!

At the moment it's ok!
Cutted a bit and welded a new pipe...we'll see the lasting

At the moment it's ok!
…and had some welding practice into the bargain Marco. :thumbup: Nothing wrong in that.

At the moment it's ok!
I got the Exhaust off my project 80 today, The mid and back box were Toyota But the front down pipe was not.. There were some small holes just lower down from the flexi joint.. so I spent the next hour with the Welder chasing a hole The full circumference of the pipe.. Just to end up where I started .. But with a bigger hole. I had the welder turned down as low as it would go but it was still blowing through .. Like trying to weld Tin foil.. Im gonna shelve it as a spare me Thinks...

Back