Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strong smell of diesel or oil in cab

doobs1

Hi there,

New to the sight and wondered if you could help. I have an import Automatic Prado 90, 1996 turbo intercooler. However, As title really, quite strong smell of diesel or oil in the cab.......No problems with starting at all but checked fuel lines from the tank anyway and seem ok as well as lines along the chassis etc..... Could be another fluid smell Transmission? Any Clues or suggestions...

Thanks in advance.

Doobs

:icon-biggrin: I have indeed bud but thanks for the reply......Im just a bit stuck and i wondered if anyone knew of a common fault or something obvious i missed......I Just hope its not going to be one of "those" problems.....The kind of fault finding that takes a month....I was confident id find it but everything seems dry as a bone...:icon-confused:

Still, thanks again, anymore input appreciated.

Doobs

I would be looking near to the engine as its probably leaking and burning off the hot engine, your getting the fumes passing into the cab after that.

Yeah, could be a leaky injector or something but its difficult to see with the intercooler in the way.....That'll have to come off and I'll take a look. Cheers

Doobs

Try checking the turbo oil feed pipe which is under the turbo. It goes from the bottom of the turbo down onto the engine block. Mine was weeping from the top gasket and I could only smell it when the engine got up to normal temp or when towing my caravan. A quick look down from the top of the engine bay on the drivers side to the bash plates underneath and you may see a small puddle of oil sitting on the plate. Found mine to be leaking when I dropped a socket down that side and removed the plate to get it back.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, having had a good look i cant see much.....However, its booked into overland cruisers for a detailed check over so im sure can get to the bottom of it and no doubt other issues on the way as well... Thanks for all your help and suggestions folks.

Doobs

Back