Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stub axle upgrade parts from Milner

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Looks like Milner have got around to advertising the parts at last. Been very pleased so far. All seems very quiet, no ABS flutters at all. Fitted new HDK CVs at the same time. All nice smooth fit. The old bushes were very worn. Nice that you can replace just the end parts with this approach.

http://www.milneroffroad.com/index.php? ... t_id=33456

Chris

I will be ordering a few bits for my axle rebuild. :thumbup:

Incidentally you mention HDK CVs. Are these an upgraded/ heavy duty CV joint or are they just a quality pattern part? Where would I get them from? I've been looking for a heavy duty pair of CV joints but so far I'm not finding anything but cheap pattern stuff.

I used Maxima waterproof grease in there. I feel that with the off roading and wading that I do, it would be easy to wash out normal grease in there. Let's face it, the whole outer hub is about as sealed as a sieve. Water can get in, in all sorts of ways. I grease up the hubs well, including the main bearings of course, but I never cease to be amazed at how much seems to be missing when I come to strip it down a while later. I have been using a higher quality grease recently and it seems to make little difference. So I got some Maxima. It's not cheap but it's what the dirt bikers use in their motocross bikes and what have you. You can't get much into the needle rollers obviously but where the old style bushes were just metal on metal once the grease dissipated, at least here there are moving parts. These rollers are only a sliding interface if I can put it that way, they are not a third wheel bearing. Properly set up, the outer CV probably shouldn't even be touching them. The outer drive flange should be keeping the CV on the level. But if you have to replace tired old phos bushes in there then at least do the upgrade.

Chris

Back