Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sub tank to VZJ95 LHD 97 Europe

RNS

Country Flag
russian_federation
Has finished the installation sub tank to my VZJ95.

LgAAAgCjHOA-960.jpg

Now I have 90+70 liters and can go more then 1000km on one filling.

It is 90% assembled of Toyota factory components except wiring. The tank itself is from Hilux Surf 185,
eMAAAgDDHOA-960.jpg

two way fuel tank inlet is stock,
AEAAAgMjHOA-1920.jpg

main valve is from 100 series (modified),
e8AAAgDd0uA-960.jpg

valve bracket is stock from diesel version (modified),
rYAAAgIh4uA-960.jpg

main fuel tube is stock,
CeAAAgO8CuA-960.jpg

the switch is from rear heater,
4UAAAgC8CuA-960.jpg

The switcher operates two 5contact relays (one switches fuel senders and the other is for fuel pumps).
The original connection scheme without return valve makes these two tanks semi independent (the return comes only to the main tank, but each tank has its own pump).

I did the same thing. Surprised it's not a more popular mod in the UK. Suppose with the price of fuel, who wants to see their wallet vanish so quickly.

Looks interesting - my main tank was replaced with a LPG cylinder, so I have a custom made petrol tank under the passenger side but it only holds about 45l. Something like this would be great to have a bit more range and options.

Looks interesting - my main tank was replaced with a LPG cylinder, so I have a custom made petrol tank under the passenger side but it only holds about 45l. Something like this would be great to have a bit more range and options.

Stock sub.tank is 70 liters and it is 99% similar as 185 4runner/Hilux Surf. The only difference is that 185's tank has 3 tubes and Prado's 2 tubes.
JSAAAgPB4uA-960.jpg

Above you can see that Prado's tank has only main and return tubes (has no tube to canister and no gravitation valve);
And 185's tank is below.
wUAAAgHcCuA-960.jpg

I think that 185's tank is more suitable for non factory installation and even necessary if you are going to use it as main tank (together with LPG system).

In order to have correct indication of how much fuel is left you are to know, than Prado up to 06.99 and restyling one has different fuel gauges. My (1997) has 3Om resistance when full and 110Om when empty. Restyling has 5 and 108. Also restyling has different principle of working of low fuel lamp. Wrong combination of gauge and sender gives wrong indication.
UtgAAgDZuuA-960.jpg

For 185 there are 3 types of sender. They changed the fuel suction in 2000 and the gauge was changed in 1997. So from 97 till 2000 they've got new type of gauge on old form factor.
8EAAAgGJuuA-960.jpg

This is old style sender and suction
D6AAAgPB4uA-960.jpg

And here is new type (left one).
TIAAAgIjHOA-960.jpg

Please also note that some Prado's frames have no brackets for sub tank, but they can be ordered by Toyota part numbers or you can make most of them and weld by yourself, it is not difficult.

How I solved the problem of polyamide hi-pressure pipes I will write later on.

I did the same thing. Surprised it's not a more popular mod in the UK. Suppose with the price of fuel, who wants to see their wallet vanish so quickly.
You are right, the amounts I pay for petrol has become really heartbreaking :)
But I comfort myself that now I have to visit petrol station once in 2 weeks (or even less often) and I now have less useless run for buying fuel.

For diesel it is a bit easier to install sub tank, because you don't need to make hi-pressure fuel line and don't have problems with wiring. Stock rear diff lock and ABS uses the same connectors as stock sub tank (5VZ-FE Prado's with factory tank have no diff lock).
EIAAAgGjHOA-960.jpg

I have to buy 8pin housing connectors for my custom wiring.
jKAAAgM8CuA-960.jpg

cqAAAgM8CuA-960.jpg

Good to know. Mines diesel, so all I did is install a small pump to transfer fuel over into the main tank. Made the install a lot easier.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As far as I tried to replicate the factory installation I ordered the new main tube and hose. Return and canister tubes are out of stock and available only with delivery time about six months. So I cut used standard ones and flared them up.
YDAAAgMyIuA-960.jpg

U4AAAgEjHOA-960.jpg

The main tube above is from face-lifted Prado and has different bends so I had to re-bend return and canister tubes. I decided not to use return stock solenoid valve and invented new connection scheme

e0AAAgC8CuA-960.jpg

Red - main
Green - return
Blue - to canister

Main tube and main valve requires using of quick connector tubes. I made custom tubes of polyamide fuel resistant tube 8mm.
2wgAAgMyIuA-960.jpg

I also tested the tube, it bursted with the pressure more then 60 bar (operating pressure is 3.5 bar). I think it is enough reserve :)
HSAAAgFn0uA-960.jpg

asAAAgFn0uA-960.jpg

Thanks for the input. You've done a pretty nice job indeed.

I've a 2001 RHD KDJ95 Prado and Would like to fit an auxiliary tank to improve my fuel autonomy in long trips and your post really helps me lots.

Will a 1994 KZN130 (4Runner/Surf) main tank fit in? I'm not worried about wiring and piping as my mechanic will sort that out but I need the tank to fit in.

The pics attached look very similar to yours so I'm in doubt.

All help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 26
Back