Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sub Tank wont fill

Cat&Rich

Country Flag
australia
Hi,
Newby here.
Bought my first LandCruiser 2005 a couple of weeks back.
Enjoying it so far.
Hoping some of you experienced folks can help me.
Sub Tank is empty. I suspect it has been empty for a while. When i push the sub tank button the gauge shows as empty.
When I go to fill it, the pump keeps clicking off as if the tank is full. Cant seem to get any diesel into it.
anyone got any ideas ?
Thanks

I'm not familiar with sub tanks but i'd imagine there is a changeover valve which needs to be open allowing air to escape from the main tank breather ?

You did not state the model cruiser which is always helpful.... Are you assuming that your sub tank is not full?... I have a 2006 HZJ79 sub tank included and the gauge is dodgy. I suggest you give this a shot. I hit the trip metre when full and switch her over at 450 klms to the main. Its just that you say its empty but obviously if it clicks off at the bowser its full. Give it a try.....

It might be as simple as the end of the lever has come off the diverter flap. Unless it's a dual hole set up. Do you pull a lever to swap fillers or are there two open pipes?
Like Bung says, it might actually BE full. Will it run if swapped over?

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Model is HDJ100P
There are two holes, so not sure of the lever theory.
I will try swapping the tanks next time I take a trip as I was told that if the motor does stop due to no fuel, it is easier to recover if you are travelling higher speeds.

I think my HDJ aux tank is bigger than your 100 series Cat so skip the 450 klm thing. Just check how many litres the tank holds in your manual and figure it out from there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a similar truck to yours , when I got it the 2nd tank read empty and it was full, this might be your answer why it keeps clicking off.

Is this a diesel or petrol?

The petrols (and certainly my VZJ95) have 2 fill holes and 2 gauges, both almost entirely separate, then the switch just changes over a 'y' valve and turns on the correct fuel pump.

Back