Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suspension change

Werneroeder

Country Flag
uk
Morning All,

I am planning to change my AHC out of my 03 100 series diesel. I would like to know who has experience with the Pedders system vs Ironman?
I am not sure on the Ironman price but Pedders is around £750.00 for the kit with lift.
The vehicle will be going to West Coast in the New Year, to get a bull bar and winch fitted, and I was planning to have the guys change the suspension.
Any feedback will be much appreciated.

I've heard good things about both IM and Pedders - I'm sure you will get some feedback regarding pros and cons soon.

You probably know this but if you're going to West Coast, then they're a IM dealer and they will usually fit it "free" inclusive in the purchase price. (At least they used to do when I bought my IM kit for my 90 from them.)

chadr, I will remind them of that. There is quite a bit of work for the guys to do on it.

I can't compare from personal experience but the Ironman stuff did get a few complaints about the finish quality a while back on the forum , it was possibly suggested that improvements had been made some time later but i can't be sure . No complaints about Pedders that i'm aware of .

I can't compare from personal experience but the Ironman stuff did get a few complaints about the finish quality a while back on the forum , it was possibly suggested that improvements had been made some time later but i can't be sure . No complaints about Pedders that i'm aware of .

Thanks Shayne.

Thanks Shayne.

IIRC it was all about peeling paint on the IM springs.

My 80's OME springs have shed most of their paint too, but functionally they and the shockers are still sound after almost 9 years on the truck.

No complaints about OME from me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IIRC it was all about peeling paint on the IM springs.

My 80's OME springs have shed most of their paint too, but functionally they and the shockers are still sound after almost 9 years on the truck.

No complaints about OME from me.

Thanks Clive. It does not seem that many guys have fitted the Pedders version though.

You are aware that the front suspension on a '100' is via Torsion Bars - not coils, aren't you.

Do IM and Pedders do them as well (not heard that before) ??

Bob.

Thanks Clive. It does not seem that many guys have fitted the Pedders version though.

3x 90 series and 1x 80 that i can think of on here have Pedders its not like suspension is changed regular IM was all the rage then complaints about rust started so people started looking for alternatives . I have only had my Peddars hd for a year and its taken that long for them to sort of settle in and it has been worked , its more comfortable now but still very little body roll .

Above is the Pedders version and below Ironman.

Well, Well, That is interesting. I've only seen the Roughtrax conversion mentioned before.

If I ever decide to scrap my AHC I'll bear those two in mind :icon-wink:.

Bob.

I have Pedders and have no complaints - I have the HD springs up front for the bull bar and they are a little harsh, but will settle when I get my winch :)

So it seems that the Pedders is a little stiff, which might not be a bad thing, depending on loading of the vehicle. The stand out difference is the warranty period, 2 years Pedders and 3 years Ironman.

So it seems that the Pedders is a little stiff, which might not be a bad thing, depending on loading of the vehicle. The stand out difference is the warranty period, 2 years Pedders and 3 years Ironman.

IMO, it's not that peddlers, or IM or other brands are stiffer or softer, each company should (and does) offer a range of springs and shockers to suit your vehicle and the way your vehicle is set up.

When I ordered my lift, the guy took note of all relevant characteristics of the truck, and at that time, what I intended for the truck.

That included whether I was going to (or had) fitted:

front / rear winch bumpers and their weight;
roof carrier / rack, it's weight and intended carrying weight;
added batteries for leisure / accessories;
winch (es);
long range fuel tank(s);
water storage tank(s);
spare wheel carriage, single/double;
tools/jack/recovery gear;
anything else significant.

His job was to offer the most appropriate springs to suit my needs, which was asphalt, and medium to tough offroad.

He got it right, IMO the set up is perfect for what I want.

My advice is to create your own list as above. You may not know weight allowances, but they will. Give them the list and the type of driving you will be doing and they will offer appropriate suspension.

IMO, it's not that peddlers, or IM or other brands are stiffer or softer, each company should (and does) offer a range of springs and shockers to suit your vehicle and the way your vehicle is set up.

When I ordered my lift, the guy took note of all relevant characteristics of the truck, and at that time, what I intended for the truck.

That included whether I was going to (or had) fitted:

front / rear winch bumpers and their weight;
roof carrier / rack, it's weight and intended carrying weight;
added batteries for leisure / accessories;
winch (es);
long range fuel tank(s);
water storage tank(s);
spare wheel carriage, single/double;
tools/jack/recovery gear;
anything else significant.

His job was to offer the most appropriate springs to suit my needs, which was asphalt, and medium to tough offroad.

He got it right, IMO the set up is perfect for what I want.

My advice is to create your own list as above. You may not know weight allowances, but they will. Give them the list and the type of driving you will be doing and they will offer appropriate suspension.

Good advice.....I went one step further and only re-sprung mine when I had (almost) all of the heavy items actually fitted into my truck AND had it loaded up as I intended (in overland mode)......I then was able to use the actual heights (how far the existing springs compressed) to decide which spring rate and what fixed load rate (ie even when empty of the overland stuff, there is still the drawers, tanks, extra spare etc etc) springing I needed. I ran a detailed weight log of what went into and out of the truck (rear seats, other stuff) to help guide my weight budget. There is a risk to just slap on really heavy duty springs and end up with something with a big lift and poor road manners. For my part I wanted a truck that sat slightly higher all round, was slightly higher at the back than at the front and was still compliant and a pleasure to drive when loaded up (ie at the design intended weight) - either by luck or judgement I achieved this and am really happy with the result. BTW - even though my truck runs at full GVW when loaded I did not go for the highest heavy duty EFS springs, I went one below that but with a large fixed weight setting on them......I could only make that decision because I knew the weights and deflection of the existing springs and knew the fixed load

Good advice.....I went one step further and only re-sprung mine when I had (almost) all of the heavy items actually fitted into my truck AND had it loaded up as I intended (in overland mode)......I then was able to use the actual heights (how far the existing springs compressed) to decide which spring rate and what fixed load rate (ie even when empty of the overland stuff, there is still the drawers, tanks, extra spare etc etc) springing I needed. I ran a detailed weight log of what went into and out of the truck (rear seats, other stuff) to help guide my weight budget. There is a risk to just slap on really heavy duty springs and end up with something with a big lift and poor road manners. For my part I wanted a truck that sat slightly higher all round, was slightly higher at the back than at the front and was still compliant and a pleasure to drive when loaded up (ie at the design intended weight) - either by luck or judgement I achieved this and am really happy with the result. BTW - even though my truck runs at full GVW when loaded I did not go for the highest heavy duty EFS springs, I went one below that but with a large fixed weight setting on them......I could only make that decision because I knew the weights and deflection of the existing springs and knew the fixed load

:thumbup:

Back